Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

DogBone mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default DogBone mount

So I'm looking to slowly but surely tighten up my suspension. I'm getting the DEFCON 1 setup in a few weeks and was also looking at the engoine dogbone mount. Here's where I get confused... I see potentially three different options here for dogbone mounts... On TTstuff.com, there are two of them. One claims to be an "Uprated" dogbone mount, and one claims to be OEM. http://ttstuff.com/performance_suspension.php

now on ECS Tuning, I see the "Pendulum" mount, which I can't help but assume is the same mount; but it's like $150 more than the ones on TTstuff.com http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Mounts

Now of course I'm not completely an idiot. I do notice that these mounts have major differences, but they look as though they probably go in the same place. Probably just different designs for different desired outcomes. Can someone explain what the ECS tuning one is all about and why it's so much more? I honestly will probably just get the $29.98 powerflex mount from TTstuff unless there really is a good arguement why I shouldn't. The one from ECS tuning looks like it'd just be a PITA to install in comparison.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: DogBone mount

I have the ecstuning ones. I just used the 2 that are shown in the TTstuff link (would never order from there after hearning more complaints). They are very firm and my car takes off now with no wheel hop. I do have some vibration at idle but that can be fixed when i get my revs to 1k instead of 800 (that 200 makes a huge differnce). Also most reuse their strech bolts, i wasted $10 and changed mine, wish i didnt...oh well. I took my time and finished in about 25mins (could be done in about 10 if hurried). Install is super easy (little hint: if you dont have a large vise, have another car runover the mount so you can undue the top screw).

On a final note, my mounts were missing chunks and were soft as a marshmellow.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

So you have the ECStuning one (3 piece set), but only used the 2 pieces from the ttstuff one? what is the purpose of the third piece?

also, I'm not sure I follow what you mean on running over the mount to get the bolt out. you talking about the bolt on the right side of this picture?...
http://www.ttstuff.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=FMPFF85420

What kind of pressure are we talking about to release the bolt? 200lbs? 2,000lbs? 50lbs?
I have a few bench-vises here at work but I'll be doing the maintenance about 5 minutes from here. Is this something that could be done the day prior as prep?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm make believe

So you have the ECStuning one (3 piece set), but only used the 2 pieces from the ttstuff one? what is the purpose of the third piece? - The third peice is for a joining section, you need a press to remove the stock peice and insert the new one. Its not really needed and you probably wouldnt notice a differnce if you had it installed.

also, I'm not sure I follow what you mean on running over the mount to get the bolt out. you talking about the bolt on the right side of this picture?...
http://www.ttstuff.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=FMPFF85420
-The bolt going strait down the mount. If you cant clamp the mount down firm enough, it will twist. I had my sister park her car on it and broke it free. All the other bolts are simple to get off.

What kind of pressure are we talking about to release the bolt? 200lbs? 2,000lbs? 50lbs?
I have a few bench-vises here at work but I'll be doing the maintenance about 5 minutes from here. Is this something that could be done the day prior as prep? - you just need to keep it from twisting.
[/quote]