Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Dipstick housing broke!! Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by vivanov1
is it eassy to install the dipstick housing? mine broke on sunday and ordered a new peice, do i just have to take off the plastic engine cover on top and pull out the old plastic housing for the dipstick?
Remove the plastic engine housing. Then after that remove the bracket that the housing mounts onto (2 screws). That should allow you enough access to remove the broken portion of the dipstick stem. Just use a needle nose plier to remove the pieces that are still on the metal part of the stem.

I wouldn't be too concerned about any plastic that may fall into the hole. Just try to get the big pieces out of there (when you do oil change, all of that will come out). Once you fit the new stem on.. The metal bracket that you removed, make sure the slot on it goes onto the stem (that will hold it in place). Screw everything back on and done.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 AM
2nd Gear

Another common Audi problem. Maybe someday we'll get another one of their "special" recalls with all kinds of disclaimers.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eliTTe
no problem... I took my shop vac and stuck it up to the hole while I used a set of needle nose pliars to pull the plastic off the metal. yours is probably pretty brittle like mine so you have to be careful not to loose any pieces down into the tube.

If VAG had not cut corners and just used a metal tube all the way up, we would not have this problem, but oh well
i see this thing cruising belmont shore all the time