Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Diode Mod -vs- Chip Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default Diode Mod -vs- Chip Tuned

I am curious as to what the whp of a diode modded tt would be as aposed to a giac or apr tuned tt?

Diode Mod 20psi=Apx what hp increase?

Giac or Apr Tuned=35-45hp

oh yea and do the apr and giac chips up the boost and if so to what and can you up it more with a mbc

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Diode Mod -vs- Chip Tuned

All chip tunes up boost. Also a lot of other variables as well, most importantly timing.

Diode mod is great if you have lemmi or unisettings to change some other stuff on your own. Although this way the changes are across the entire RPM range. A chip tune, tunes these variables according to rpm.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

whenever you say "tune other stuff" what exactly does that mean?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm make believe

He means with lemminwinks you can fine tune the fuel and timing. I ran w/o any extra tuning for a long time with no issues.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

a diode doesnt produce as much hp as a chip....running more boost via diode helps increase hp but without proper fuel and timing you wont see nearly the hp gains that the chips produce. most chips(varies on company) will put you in the 19psi range and you can turn it up with a boost controller....i;m more conservative than others...hence i went APR...and i keep my peak psi around 21psi and 19-20 steady. any more than 23-25psi and your risking the turbo and not getting any gains. too much heat if your going big turbo anyways dont bother with a chip.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm make believe

With equal mods, a diode makes very simular power numbers. With a little tuning they should bepretty muchequal

Old 02-10-2008, 04:04 AM
2nd Gear

I've seen dynos to affirm what cincy says. Running a chip+mbc now I don't notice much difference...I think it just comes on harder if anything.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear

The diode mod without a chip or an overboost controller is kinda stupid. The whole purpose of the diode is to run higher boost without going into limp. there are still some safety measures, like airflow measuring, but you really run a risk of going lean if you don't compensate the fueling.

I ran a diode on my A4 for a while with an overboost controller set to about 22 psi, but I had a GIAC Hammerfile chip, 380cc injectors, a 225 MAF, and a K04-15. I would not run the diode on a stock car; it's not a substitute for a chip.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: JettaRedII

The diode mod without a chip or an overboost controller is kinda stupid. The whole purpose of the diode is to run higher boost without going into limp. there are still some safety measures, like airflow measuring, but you really run a risk of going lean if you don't compensate the fueling.

I ran a diode on my A4 for a while with an overboost controller set to about 22 psi, but I had a GIAC Hammerfile chip, 380cc injectors, a 225 MAF, and a K04-15. I would not run the diode on a stock car; it's not a substitute for a chip.
Wow, even with a unbias comparesion post before yours, you are still a stubburn individual spitting out BS. One of these days you will believe in what others do everyday for YEARS!!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM

the chip should make more power. the diode mods only downfall is the limit of what can be tuned. Chip tuners can change more maps in the ecu specifically rpm-timing correction maps, load scaling, fuel scaling, etc...

turning up the boost is actually not the best way to add power even though its pretty dam effective. I know unitronic is running the lowest boost pressure of any of the big 3 chip tuners but have the most power when tuning the MED9 management.

At a Mk5 meet the other night my buddy ben who is running the new uni stage 1+ beat a Revo stage 2. The revo car had more mods. He beat it by 4 car lengths. The revo is supposed to be 25 psi, uni is running 15-18 psi. Another guy also in the same Mk5 club is returning his APR running that is running 26 psi for the uni that is again at 16-18 psi. i was personally amazed with the results. the uni cars are the fastest ones in the mk5 club.

this is just a example, personally the diode mod is great for tuning on a budget, but i think the chip tune has more to offer.

Quick Reply: Diode Mod -vs- Chip Tuned