Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Difficult to shift in high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Default Difficult to shift in high rpm

I was out of town for a week. One day my dad called me and told me that he had driven the TT and some white smoke came out from the engone bay after he parked it on the drive way. He said he could still start the car, so I tell him to park it back into the garage and wait for me to come back.[:@]

After I got back from the trip, I quickly jumped in the car and I found out the instrument cluster is all blank. I checked all the fuses, all in good condition. Then I start the car again, it works. (Then I quitted bothering that). Another issue I have found out is, I have trouble shifting when the rpm is high. The higher the worse. It feels like the shift knot is stuck in there and I have to use my strength to pull in order to complete the shift. And also, smelling of burning came from the engine bay. I sniffed it for the entire afternoon and it comes from the front side of the engine( and its also posionious, I had chest pain afterward)

Any suggestion? Idea? Could that be happening due to bad shifting from my dad?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Difficult to shift in high rpm

First off, what kinda burning smell is it? Does it smell like burning oil, or kinda sweet like coolant?

As for the hard shifting concern if its hard to get in ALL gears then its probably the clutch. Your dad was probably being a little slip happy and fried the poor thing.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear

White smoke is coolant, not sure why.

Having a hard time getting into/out of gear is usually throw out bearing.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 PM

lol,the moral of this story is to keep your key from the dads or at least teach him how to drive a stick.

The coolant level is fine, and No over heating whatsoever.
For the shifting part, I am thinking about transmision lubrication of the clutch, any suggetion
My TT has 74K on that

Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 PM

https://www.audiforums.com/m_748955/tm.htm

I have found thi thread. And I found this i relatively simular to my situation. So, the smell of mine could be from the clutch.

I hope I am going the right direction, I am thinking about purchasing the ECS clutch.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear

i've never really thought bunt clutch smell smells dangerous. lol now coolant and sometimes oil can smell very very bad. and makes some get sick

Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 AM

I truely do not think the smell comes from the coolant. I believe its from bad shifting which messed up the clutch.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: JaceTun

I truely do not think the smell comes from the coolant. I believe its from bad shifting which messed up the clutch.
Burning clutch smells weird. It kinda smells like when you spill water on a ceramic stove...that's the only thing I can compare it to.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 PM

So, we have come down with a conclusion. Its a bad clutch. I am going to purchase the ECS stge 1. Is there anything I should have change at the same time??

Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

rear main seal!!!! only 50 bucks and you'll thank me later

Quick Reply: Difficult to shift in high rpm