Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Cylinder head installation problem… cam chain tensioner….. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Cylinder head installation problem… cam chain tensioner….. Please help

So here is the story the timing belt slipped causing the exhaust valves to hit. So I sent the head out to a machine shop to have them check out and the valves replace. When he took it apart he said that there was a piece on my cam chain tensioner was broken so he replaced it. Everything looked good so I spent the last two days reassembling everything. With the engine all timed and everything not far from running again, I notice that the oil tube that connects to the top of the valve cover on the right of the engine (opposite of the timing belt) wasn’t fitting properly. After a while of trying to figure out what I did wrong I noticed in one of my old pictures that this part wasn’t there before. It is the cam chain tensioner. On my old one it didn’t bulge out at all but on this on it has a solenoid of sort on it. Mine is a 2000 and it looks like this part was for a 2001-2006 TT. So my question is what’s the best way to take care of this? Can I run this one without any electrical connected and a bigger hose or do I need to remove the valve cover and replace the tensioner? It is tight in there and I don’t want it to rube through. After all the work I have done I am doing my best not to have to mess up the timing or remove the head again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Before cam chain tensioner

Name:  DSC06484.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  103.6 KB

After cam chain tensioner

Name:  DSC06572.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  DSC06567.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  67.1 KB

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Quattro engines 2000-2003 (AMU Engine code) had just a manual cam chain tensioner. FWD engines for 2000 (ATC) also had manual cam chain tensionser In 2004 for Quattro (BEA Engines) and in 2001 for FWD (AWP Engines) they went to an adjustable chain tensioner and rudimentary variable valve timing (and this is supported by wideband O2 sensors, and other differences). You "can" run either tensioner with either engine, and either head will work on either car, but in order to run the VVT on a non-VVT car you have to have supporting mods (wide/narrow band O2 sensor and supporting ECU). Your easiest path is to get the right cam chain tensioner the Engine code you have. You can see the Engine code pinstamped on the top left side of the head. I know on the Quattor (AMU/BEA) you can also run the "wrong" head, with the right cam chain tensioner - the heads are the same, just the tensioner is different.