Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Custom Question????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Custom Question????

I was just wondering. Would it make a difference if i changed my stock exhuast piping for like 3' piping and leave the muffler and cat the same? Louder? Power?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Custom Question????

Which piping?
I went and had a custom exhaust estimate made... and they said:

[ul][*]$150-$200 for downpipe[*]$200 for dp mount flange for turbo (takes a while to machine it)[*]$600 for Piping from Catalytic converter back to resonator... and then to the muffler (due to the very tight channel under the car that the piping has to follow, all that piping has to be mandrel bent. That gets expensive)[*]$500-$600 for Catalytic Converter, Resonator, & Muffler (VERY expensive to get here because of import taxes and civilian shipping costs. Usually 2-3 times the price in the US) <--- Thats why I'll provide my own Cat, Muffler, and Resonator when I get this done.[/ul]
Keep in mind... this is all in Korea. Most cat-back setups are fairly cheap ifthey aren't custom because I would imagine the mandrel bends aren't done on site by hand specifically for your car. They're probably done on a machine and thus makes it a little cheaper than a custom job with mandrels.

When I go big turbo... I will probably get the DP mount flange from that turbo with the kit... but not the downpipe itself... then order the cat, resonator, and muffler online (shipping to the APO is cheap) and cut out all the expensive parts and let them do the rest for a decent price. I'll just have to bite the bullet on the cat-back "Piping" and pay the big $$.

As far as performance gains... I would imagine it may give you a small increase... but not much as your flow is only going to be as high as the most restrictive part. So if its restricted to 2.25" in almost every other spot... the gains will probably be minimal. Sound, probably very little change with the stock resonator and muffler. Not sure though. Im sure someone else onhere will chime in on that though.

Good luck, lets see pictures and results if you do it.

- Chris

Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

I was just thnking of gettin the piping no the dp or cat, just the normal exhaust

Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
4th Gear

Remus!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

Yea... if you leave the stock cat, resonator, muffler... you'll block a lot of the sound difference and you'll still be restricting it quite a bit.
If you go straight pipes and just not use a cat, resonator, and muffler... you will see gains and you'll DEFINITELY get a different sound. lol albeit probably not the sound you're looking for. (deafeningly loud)

If you're gonna have just the pipes custom made... it may just be cheaper to buy a cat-back system from borla, APR, etc... and you'll get all the rest.

You can probably get the piping done cheaper... but one of two things will occur: either they'll use welds instead of mandrel bends (not horrible, but not as good. cheaper though), or they'll just run no bends and the piping will hang lower and not be routed through the "channel" for the exhaust. (this is horrible, because your exhaust will be ripped off at the first or second speed bump. Buddy of mine skimped out on an exhaust and had this happen like 3 weeks ago. I had to say "I told you so")

If you actually get custom mandrel bent pipingback there... it can cost a pretty penny (maybe not quite as much as the cat back, but close. if the cat-back is only $100-$200 more than the custom... i'd get it since it comes with resonator and muffler.)

Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: TurboToughTT

I was just wondering. Would it make a difference if i changed my stock exhuast piping for like 3' piping and leave the muffler and cat the same? Louder? Power?
Ok, just think about it for a second........

Is that enough time? Ok, your just making a bottle neck and making it more than likely worse than before.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
SoCal Crew Member

what's the stock exhaust piping diameter anyhow? isn't it like 2" ?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm make believe

2.17"

Old 09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

no to the straight pipe...it's freaking loud as hell. i had to put the stock back in.
paid 275 for 3" fron the cat back no resonator no muffler and new 4" tips.
there's a deffinite pep on the pickup.
right now the shop is looking for a resonator. if they find one i'll go ahead and have them put it back in.
it'll bea lil less obnoxious on idle and a back the freak up on wot.

if anyone have a part#for the resonator and where to get it i sure do appreciate it.
tia

Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

http://www.partsbynet.com/pil-pm573.html
this is the tip i'm waiting for for dual exhaust.
what ya'll think? ricey?

Quick Reply: Custom Question????