Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

crazy short shift business

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008 | 04:11 PM
|
1st Gear
Default crazy short shift business

i tried looking up this topic before posting so i don't waste anyone's time. but no one seems to have anything to say about a b&m shifter in the tt.

does anyone have the b&m short shifter? i went on the b&m website, it comesin 20 parts, takes 14 tools for install, and 56 steps later you have yourself a shorter throw. is there ANY differencein b&m and theones from neuspeed, dieselgeek, forge and everyone else?

and would it be doubly the shortness if both were installed?! i'm looking for a shift so short i can hardly find the gears... okay, just kidding, but seriously...

Old 03-08-2008 | 04:18 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: crazy short shift business

I know the B&M shifter maintains the stock reverse position. I'm not certain about the other brands.

Old 03-08-2008 | 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

Scroll down and hit More Info for the B&M.

http://www.ttstuff.com/performance_shift.php

Like the idea of reverse lockout.

Old 03-08-2008 | 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

The B&M was just about the first mod that I did over 4 years ago. It is rather a PITA to do, but once it was finished it was worth it. While it doesn't quite do the same thing as the Dieselgeek kit, it does shorthen the throw. The other part to consider that it is one solid piece of steel as opposed to the stock shifter, so strength is another consideration.

Old 03-08-2008 | 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

Forge seam the best on paper... does anyone have one?

Old 03-08-2008 | 07:13 PM
1st Gear

I have the forge front and side short throw...really, I wasn't that impressed. Yea it shortened up the throw, but it didn't feel anything like the 350z I test drove or even the Hurst short throw in theTransAm WS6. Unless you're tracking your car, and I'm not, I'd do another mod.

Old 03-09-2008 | 07:33 AM
1st Gear

I installed a B&M kit into the now ex-wife's VW Golf. Major PITA (the shift kit and the ex). Lots of under car work. I have the Dieselgeek kit in the TT. Nice workmanship and all work is done up top and in cab.

Old 03-09-2008 | 01:47 PM
|
1st Gear

thanks for the advice everyone.

hey steve, other than a shorter throw, does it have a really different feel being all steel? i'm looking for a really solid feel. i've felt some in other cars but have no idea what's in them.

i think even though it's a huge pain, i want to do the b&m.

thanks again

Old 03-09-2008 | 02:05 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know if being steel makes a lot of difference other than the two part stock shifter has a little more flex to it.

I've been driving with it for quite a while, but when I do drive a TT with a stock shifter I feel the difference. I don't know if that feel is from the shorter throw or the lack of flexure. I like mine, but as I said, it's not a particularly easy install. You have to remove the Cats, Heatshield, and work around the driveline to get into the cover from under the car. I spent the better part of an afternoon doing it, but when it was done I was very happy with it.

It was probably the most difficult thing I have done and that includes changing out a rear axle, coilovers, and Haldex controller.

Old 03-10-2008 | 09:36 AM
1st Gear

We've just lowered the front-back shifter to 130.00, making it one of the more affordable options available right now. Also, installation takes about 30 minutes with simple hand tools.

As for feeling like one of the cars mentioned, it is pretty hard for a cable actuated tranny to match the directness of a traditional "top-end" loader tranny like the 350z and the T56 found in the Pontiac. That being said, at Waterfest last year I think 80% of the people that tried the shifter that was installed in our booth car purchased a kit, so there must be something positive about the shortened throw.

Quick Reply: crazy short shift business