Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Coolant temp problems HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant temp problems HELP

So, I changed my tbelt, serpentine belt, water pump, and tstat. Now for some reason, my temp gauge on the dash is steady middle when driving but when stopped it goes up to 1 bar past the middle.

On the climate control cluster it ranges between 96-102 C. I haven't seen it go higher than that. Also, I haven't really noticed the high fan coming on but I know the low does come on.

Any one know if this is normal? What can I do to fix this? Its wierd cause it only happened after replacing all those parts.[/align]

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coolant temp problems HELP

What about replacing the coolant temp sensor? It's easy and cheap so long as the engine is cold when you do it and you don't spray coolant all over yourself. The part is actually on sale at ecstuning.com this week.

http://www.ecstuning.com/

Old 07-29-2007, 07:37 PM

96 and 102 is fine. fans aren't supposed to kick on automatically until 104.

104 = 1 bar to the right of middle on the dash.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
5th Gear

Its the thermostat... the stock ones sometimes have their issues with failing, but the replacements on the market now are slow to react. I have the same problem from time to time. Never goes high enough to kick a fan on, and never has overheated, but once in a while the needle will rise up a little until i get moving again.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Yea i have the same problem... people told me it was the green temperature sensor but i replaced the stock (black one) and i was still having the same problem. Then two other people told me to do a coolant flush (i'll try this out and I will tell u) and the other was to get your thermostat switched out ... im probably goign to give that a try too since its about $15 ..

Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

Where is the temp sensor located? 2001 225 tt coupe.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

I found out what was wrong with the whole coolant problem with my car. A few months ago i realzied that there was a leak in my coolant hose so I filled it up with anti-freeze coolant (NOT THE RIGHT ONE) you should get G11 or G12 depending on model and so it mixed in with the pink one (thats the one i use) and so I had to do a coolant flush. If your car is heating up because of coolant (different coolant or mixed coolant) do a coolant flush ... mines fine now...

1. Coolant flush:
HOW TO: http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...ne_fluid.shtml

2. Temperature sensor (check if you have the black one and if you do switch it out for the green one) You can check by looking somewhere near your FPR you can get the picx and HOW TO at:
http://blog.carrel.org/2005/08/repla...mperature.html
(THANKS TO CINCYTT for the ADVISE)

3. And last but not least i also did some research and people say that t he water pump is faulty in some audi TTs (plastic) so it breaks ... i already had my water pump replaced (recommended after 50,000 miles)

4. Also I had some people say that the thermostat was sticky... so you might want tocheck that too ..

please correct me if im wrong ... i just did some research and this is what i kno so far and what has worked for me so .. ur case might be different .. just trying to help because it really gets annoying

Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fireman9585

Where is the temp sensor located? 2001 225 tt coupe.
Here is a picture:

http://www.carrel.org/gallery/2005-08-13/aaj

it should be next to your FPR if you want to see it better just take off the engine cover but you can probably see it without the engine cover.. i just like mine NAKED... it is to the right side ... and usually your stock temperature sensor isnt green it should be black.