Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Constant Turn Signal Blinking-Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Unhappy Constant Turn Signal Blinking-Help?

Hello, hello. Been trolling the forums for a while and finally decided to register before this problem drives me stark raving mad.

First off, my car is a 2003 TT 225 Coupe. My turn signal relay has a tendency to randomly "click." The turn signals and hazards work fine, but the relay itself will just click off and on. I can detect no pattern to it, but it seems worst right after using the turn signals.

I've replaced the hazard relay switch with a brand new one and the problem is still there (80 dollars down the drain...). I'm at a loss now as to where the problem could be in the wonderfully quirky electrical system our cars seem to have. Any help would be greatly appreciated to avoid me going bonkers while driving my car.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Okay, somehow I managed to find a potential fix in 5 minutes of Google despite searching the past few days...

Apparently the connections inside the actual turn-signal stalk can become dirty. Quite a few people have reported that spraying contact cleaner inside the steering column at the base of the stalk fixed the problem. I'm going to give this a shot and I'll post up if it works. Hopefully this will prevent others from needlessly dropping $80...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

My 03 coupe was doing that one night a couple months ago. After i turned off the signal it would randomly make the clicking noise really fast for a few seconds..
It was was uber foggy that night.. I thought it was probably due to the extreme humidity since it hasn't happened again since.

Would be interested if your solution works out...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 AM

I have this exact same problem, random clicking from the relay.

Any luck with the contact cleaner in the stalk?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

My car started doing this again like crazy today. Pretty much non stop. Annoying as hell.
I picked up some contact cleaner on my way home from work and sprayed a bunch in there and worked the paddle around.. didn't work immediately. I drove home from from the store and it hadn't stopped but i figure I'll give it time to evaporate and work its magic before i call it a bust...

Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

I had this happen under warranty on my 02.. I think they had to replace a relay.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Well I think I got this problem solved for me at least.. I went back to my original theory of humidity. Floor mats were soaked from getting in and out with snow on my shoes all winter. Took the mats out and the floor under was soaked as well. I got the trusty hair dryer out and dried the floor and blew it at the base of the turn signal stalk, radio, and dash buttons for a bit. Went for a 20 minute drive around town (lots of turn signaling) and after two days of incessant clicking it didn't click inappropriately even once.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM

search? flasher relay , turn signal stalk... mine has done this for over a year, but it disapeared for a long time, then all the sudden reared it ugly head again, going like non-stop for two days. but then it quit again...i really think it is cause by a little audi gremmlin that lives inside my dash board. when hes angry he does **** like this.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Default Solved (for me, at least)

I tried using the electrical contact cleaner on the base of the turn signal stalk. At first I sprayed a **** ton and then drove to dinner immediately. It didn't work. However, once I got to dinner I resprayed it and let it sit for a while. After about an hour, once I got back into the car I wasn't having any problems whatsoever with the turn signal clicking (the relay). I have yet to have the problem reoccur, so I recommend the following course of action if your turn signals are randomly blinking: First, check the turn signal stalk. Remove the cover and spray a lot of electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, replace the Hazard Relay switch. Finally, if all else fails, replace the turn signal stalk/electronics (that can be pricey...) Make sense? Any questions, PM me. It worked for me, so hopefully it works for any of you having the same problem. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Update. My problem came back. I finally decided to just take the turn signal unit out and clean it. I used the following guides, took about an hour:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=764870
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ghlight=Flakey