Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

I have a K&N and was getting MAF code after getting it.

I just cleaned it with cleaner and it was ok.

It seems the K&Ns come heavy with oil out of the box perhaps?

Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by alan93
I have a K&N and was getting MAF code after getting it.

I just cleaned it with cleaner and it was ok.

It seems the K&Ns come heavy with oil out of the box perhaps?
I've never had an issue with mine. Going on 18 months since the install. Probably the MAF just needed cleaning.

cheers

Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
3rd Gear

also, skip the oiled filters. Get an AEM dry-flow. With an oiled media filter, the oil is drawn accrss the elements in the MAF and **** up our readings. take out your MAF and soak it in alcohol. see if that helps with the trac control/MAF light. if so, its def your filter. ditch it and go with a dry element filter.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by warranty225cpe
also, skip the oiled filters. Get an AEM dry-flow. With an oiled media filter, the oil is drawn accrss the elements in the MAF and **** up our readings. take out your MAF and soak it in alcohol. see if that helps with the trac control/MAF light. if so, its def your filter. ditch it and go with a dry element filter.
OOOO OUCH! Alcohol? Seriously? MAF's are very susceptible to any contact with just about.....anything. Get some electronics cleaner in a spray can and gently spray that at the little wires in the MAF and do it from a distance. This will not leave any residue on the all important wires and it will clean off any potential grime or oil from a breather in there. This is a much better way to clean a MAF. Trust me. I've cleaned a few.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, alcohol. Ive done it a few times, and it has worked fine without any adverse affects. alcohol doesnt really have any affect on the wires. Its not like a used brake cleaner.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ninjatturtle
from what i understand turbocharged cars don't gain much advantage from cold air intakes. did you get a check engine light?
In addition to, even a slightly cooler air charge, there are advantages to having less restriction on air going into the engine. Any engine can benefit from an ability to draw air in easier. Turbos are not excluded. Less restriction on air going in results in a more combustable source of air and ultimately contributes lower EGT's.

Last edited by A8 LOOONG; 02-03-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by neur0tic
the problem with cold air intakes...
Gay-Lussac's Gas Law states "the pressure of a gas is proportional to the absolute temperature of the gas"

Because all the pressure is created in the turbo... the air isn't heated to extremely hot temps until well after the intake... inside the turbo. any extra length at all added to an intake will reduce flow in some way.... since the CAI won't cool the end result air before entering the engine, the only effect of the CAI is sound and reduced airflow.
The Only real thing you can do to your intake on the 1.8t TT is to add a high-flow intake to increase the airflow as much as possible... giving the turbo more air to compress and 'forced induct' (<-- I realize that isnt a word).
You want to get as much air in as possible... just shorten the intake as short as possible and install the highest flow filter you can find. Usually this is a HKS mushroom style filter, or hollow center cone filter (the solid center cones only draw in from the outside while the hollow ones draw from inside AND out).

Now of course in the winter... colder outside tmps WILL affect the power, but only if the temps are much much lower than summer ambient air. and this is bcause 20-30*F air is very dense with oxygen (freezing cold air = dense with oxygen = bigger bang = more power)

Most CAI's only decrease temps by 5-10*... not nearly enough to create a difference in O2 content.

neur0tic is the man. Spot on as always. Been reading these forums for years and he's always dropping the knowledge. Had to finally create an account and let him know lol!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

I'll second the oil in the filter problem, in my first week with my tt I cleaned the filter from the modshack intake with that k&n oil cleaner crap...ended up with messed up maf readings and cleaned the maf with a bottle of specialized maf cleaner from crc. Advanced auto carries it.