Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Default cold air intake

2001 tt 1.8l turbo quattro roadster ,i just put in a cold air intake,k@n filter,that i bought on ebay,car seems to have less get up and go,needless to say,i'm taking it back off,just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

Hmmm! not sure! Maybe you did something to the MAF sensor? when putting it on?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM

from what i understand turbocharged cars don't gain much advantage from cold air intakes. did you get a check engine light?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ninjatturtle
from what i understand turbocharged cars don't gain much advantage from cold air intakes. did you get a check engine light?
no but the maf keeps going on and off on dash,not sure if it might just be a bad maf sensor,or dirty.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

with our cars... all the heat comes AFTER the turbo... the compression in the turbo heats the air... so cooling it BEFORe the turbo does very little if anything. Furthermore, alot of cold air intakes copme with shitty filters...

The best thing to do intake wise on this car is just get a 3" HKS mushroom filter, or high flow cone filter; you'll never cool the intake enough to really drop temps after the turbo... you'll need an intercooler upgrade for that (intercooler cools the air after it comes out of the turbo before entering throttle body and intake manifold)

Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear

oh, and for the MAF thing... Ive always just run the Filter directly to the MAF housing via a silicone coupler... added tubing for cold air redirect (which only cools it by about 5-10 degrees before the turbo... nothing after) usually adds bends and length to the intake, creating turbulence or bad flow in the tube... slowing down intake flow; this may be causing it.

Just go with a high flow 3" filter (mushroom or cone) directly to the housing, no extra bends or turns.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Default Hai

How many bends are taking? It causes any problems in the car?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM

I had some decent pickup after having my CAI installed. MAF doesn't pop on if hooked up correctly. I had that problem at first. I had to tweak it. Don't remember how.
I do believe that K@N filters cause overflow..? That's what my mechanic said, so maybe try getting a different filter. Mines worked fine except for the lack of power at redline..it kinda drags.

I love when it gets cool outside..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

the problem with cold air intakes...
Gay-Lussac's Gas Law states "the pressure of a gas is proportional to the absolute temperature of the gas"
Name:  0c420eef12616afe35bb294509d618ae.png
Views: 1203
Size:  427 Bytes

Because all the pressure is created in the turbo... the air isn't heated to extremely hot temps until well after the intake... inside the turbo. any extra length at all added to an intake will reduce flow in some way.... since the CAI won't cool the end result air before entering the engine, the only effect of the CAI is sound and reduced airflow.
The Only real thing you can do to your intake on the 1.8t TT is to add a high-flow intake to increase the airflow as much as possible... giving the turbo more air to compress and 'forced induct' (<-- I realize that isnt a word).
You want to get as much air in as possible... just shorten the intake as short as possible and install the highest flow filter you can find. Usually this is a HKS mushroom style filter, or hollow center cone filter (the solid center cones only draw in from the outside while the hollow ones draw from inside AND out).

Now of course in the winter... colder outside tmps WILL affect the power, but only if the temps are much much lower than summer ambient air. and this is bcause 20-30*F air is very dense with oxygen (freezing cold air = dense with oxygen = bigger bang = more power)

Most CAI's only decrease temps by 5-10*... not nearly enough to create a difference in O2 content.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

hhh1855 wrote:
2001 tt 1.8l turbo quattro roadster ,i just put in a cold air intake,k@n filter,that i bought on ebay,car seems to have less get up and go,needless to say,i'm taking it back off,just wondering if anybody else has had this problem.thanks
Had that similar problem and ended by buying a new AEM air intake systems.

===================
neur0tic wrote:
the problem with cold air intakes...
Gay-Lussac's Gas Law states "the pressure of a gas is proportional to the absolute temperature of the gas"

Because all the pressure is created in the turbo... the air isn't heated to extremely hot temps until well after the intake... inside the turbo. any extra length at all added to an intake will reduce flow in some way.... since the CAI won't cool the end result air before entering the engine, the only effect of the CAI is sound and reduced airflow.
The Only real thing you can do to your intake on the 1.8t TT is to add a high-flow intake to increase the airflow as much as possible... giving the turbo more air to compress and 'forced induct' (<-- I realize that isnt a word).
You want to get as much air in as possible... just shorten the intake as short as possible and install the highest flow filter you can find. Usually this is a HKS mushroom style filter, or hollow center cone filter (the solid center cones only draw in from the outside while the hollow ones draw from inside AND out).

Now of course in the winter... colder outside tmps WILL affect the power, but only if the temps are much much lower than summer ambient air. and this is bcause 20-30*F air is very dense with oxygen (freezing cold air = dense with oxygen = bigger bang = more power)

Most CAI's only decrease temps by 5-10*... not nearly enough to create a difference in O2 content.
Wow! very well said and explained neur0tic! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about air intake

Quick Reply: cold air intake