Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Clutch job in progress, *UPDATED WITH PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default Clutch job in progress, *UPDATED WITH PICS*

Well the day got off to a rough start, due to my dead alternator I only got about 3 miles from my house when the car cut off. so I had to get someone to take me to the store to get a new battery, that put us about a hour late getting started.

Once we got there, we had anywhere from 3 to6 people working on the car so it got torn apart pretty quick... had the tranny out in about 5 hours, and WOW is the car a mess, the engine bay is stripped to nothing. Unfortunatly my new disc is a little too thick in the hub because of the large springs that were used on it, so when it bolts up the pressure plate hits them. There going to give it one try at modifying it tomorrow and if they still don't feel safe with it then we are going to have to use the stock disc.

Anyway, I do have one question... to get the tranny out we had to disconnect the banjo fitting of one of the power steering lines from the power steering rack, and obviously we lost a good bit of fluid, I picked up some valvoline synpower power steering fluid and I assume its sutible?? well how do I go about bleeding the line to remove air in it??

thanks for any help

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Clutch job in progress, some good, some bad and some ?'s

Alright, consulting of what you have done in order to change the clutch. I am taking it to a shop to do it
I got to admit that I am not a good machinist

Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: JaceTun

Alright, consulting of what you have done in order to change the clutch. I am taking it to a shop to do it
I got to admit that I am not a good machinist
Oh just wait till you see the pictures, it looks like a real nightmare

Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear

Nobody?? speak now or forever hold your peace.... leaving for the shop in 30 mins.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear

Well today we worked on getting the clutch to fit, we had to remove part of the inside of the flywheel and grind a little off the hub of the disc... everythings a tight fit but we tested it and it works, so monday will be the reinstalliation of everything. here are some pics of the work in progress

looks like fun right? what sucks is I wont really be able to drive the car till the end of next week... this will take all of monday, then tuesday/wednesday the drivers side hub is being replaced and then thursday I have to change the alternator [:@]

Old 08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

holy crap. I thought I had some maintenance resources. What is that thing hooked to the bottom of your car pulling your (transmission?) out?
Very unfamiliar with clutch jobs... but it looks like it would be exponentially easier with that equipment.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

thats the tranny jack, makes it a TON easier to get the tranny out and considering how tight a fit it is on this car it would be impossible without it

Old 08-05-2007, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

I think you can get a tranny jack on the strip in vegas for like... $80. Not sure. ask Charlie Sheen.

On a real note though... with a dedicated three man crew, could this be done with a lift in a day? with or without tranmission jack

Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

ouch, how many hours do you call a day? we had 3 people consistantly working on it and sometimes up to 5-6. we had the transmission and clutch off the car in 5 hours... assuming we took around the same time to put it back in, I guess it could be a 11 hour job (which is what the book listed it as)

Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

i wouldnt use that power steering fluid use the audi stuff. to bleed it you just pour fluid into the tank and wait till till the fluid comes out in a stream then bolt the line back in...start the car and you'll prolly need to add more....you'll know because the car will sound horrible with out the fluid at the proper level. i'm fairly certain this is how i did it. btw those pics dont show up

Quick Reply: Clutch job in progress, *UPDATED WITH PICS*