Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.
View Poll Results: 180 intercooler setup
No interest
33.33%
air to water setup (stock look)
48.15%
Single side vertical flow setup
7.41%
normal strait through design, unlike stock
14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Cincy's been playing, IC content - UPDATE W/ PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm make believe

Will do. The water will go back to a rad like your engine coolant and gets cooled back down. There is many cars that come with these stock like a mustang cobra and Veyron (has a few actually). Also many aftermarket supercharger kits use this method do to space issues, no lag, or psi drop. This includes I4-V8's

if anyone else wants to be in the first batch and get a discount, send me a pm for more info.

Last edited by cincyTT; 08-19-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Thought this might interest you...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3983111

Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm make believe

Very nice!!! Glad others are also taking advantage of this, shows its worth

Old 08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm make believe

Sorry guys, this just isnt going to work out like planned. The core with the water fittings installed are just to big and will hang down to low. Im really upset that this isnt going to work out the way i hoped. Now i have all the main parts laying around my garage with my TT torn to peices and its not going to fit. Just the cost of prototyping i guess, but dont worry, im not done trying things.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm make believe

After trying for a few good hours, i may have found a solution to the problem. However this will require a small deal of cutting, but nothing to major. Should hopefully find out tomarrow if the new plan to mount it works or not.

Just to give you guys an idea of what kind of core im using, they are posted below. You can see how dense this core is which will remove ALOT of heat and fast. Also in the other pic, you can see how many rows are available for the water to go through to extract the heat. One last thing, most s/c kits that come with "aftercoolers" (what they call it) use a much smaller heat exchanger, mainly the ones used for oil coolers. The one i am using is 12x24x1" and will have more than enough time to bring the temps down since its more than 2x the size of other kits i have seen.

Attached Thumbnails Cincy's been playing, IC content - UPDATE W/ PICS-dsc02922.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Would you mind posting a "side view" of the unit? I assume the airflow is not restricted?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm make believe

Far from restrictive. The endtanks are very well designed and will be far from a weak point. I kind of dont want to give out to much info since its still not finished and not wanting to spill my ideas out for others to take.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
5th Gear

Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but you're building a water to air core, but keeping airflow in a air to air configuration? I dunno, this is the first I've checked out this thread, and monitor size/pic size makes it too hard to tell.

If that is the case, have you considered reversing the flow? Water thru the core, charge air where ambient air would normally flow? You don't need such a dense core with water cooling since it can remove 4x the heat. Thats one of the benefits of a water to air, minimal pressure drop.

If not the case, disregard. Again, I can't tell by those pics which side of a core I'm looking at.

What are you considering for water cooling? Still need a decent size radiator to remove the heat from the water, location? Constant flow pump, or pressure/throttle position based. Post boost timed?

Maybe I'm asking too many questions too early in your design.

I've been kicking around the water to air idea for a while myself. My car is a little more flexible in regards to where I can put things. Doubt my system will look very close to anything you guys are imagining. Though I fear my car may start to take on a Boxter and/or R8 look, but hey, function > looks. GoTTzilla has a subaru hood scoop...

Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm make believe

It is a normal w2a core, the pics are just of the air passage above. it is still a rather dense core and needs to be since all ic's are aluminum and as im sure you know, it doesnt remove heat as well as copper or other metals. Plus the actual core minus the end tanks is only 4.5x5x10". The air to air part is the main radiator used to lower the temp of the water back down to ambient. As i posted earlier, i will be using a core that is 3-4x bigger than most supercharger kits. One reason is to make sure the water is cool as possible for a DD and also so there is plenty of fluid so a res tank is not needed. The rad will come with a fill spout so you have an easy time filling up the system with water/coolant/water wetter etc. I also will just be using a constant flow pump, just makes things cost effective and easier.

Again, those pics are of the air passages, but you can also see how many water passages in those pics where they are blocked off. It is an extremely nice ic and should be plenty for those with stock to 400+ whp

Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm make believe

Here is a ic setup from vortech, as you can see, it uses a tiny heat exchanger

Quick Reply: Cincy's been playing, IC content - UPDATE W/ PICS