Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Chevy Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Default Chevy Cobalt

I don't endorse competitive street racing or creating hazardous situations for fellow drivers. The following situation took place on a four-lane county-road lined with orchards, few cross streets, and with no other traffic nearby.

I live in Fresno, California and work in a little town about twenty minutes away from my house called Sanger. There's one large county road that goes from near my house to near my work, straight south, called Academy. Two lanes each way, only two stop signs and one traffic light on the way for a good six or seven miles, at best guess, and lined with orchards all the way. I was driving back from lunch today when this black Chevy Cobalt sedan turns onto the road with me at the first stop sign. I'm driving only about 5 mph over the limit, singing along to some AC/DC, paying no mind to the other guy. In other words, minding my own business. Suddenly, he comes up from behind and does a kind of flyby, which is when I notice the fart-can exhaust he has installed. I decide to be nice and ignore it. I was feeling generous. We come to the second stop sign, which is about a mile before the light where I turn. I start off easy, just so he understands that I'm being chill, and I see him check me from his side mirror. I accelerate normally (by this time, he's in front of me by about a car length), and suddenly he slams his gas. This is at about the 1/4 mark to the upcoming light. Amused at his belief that his sedan cobalt with an exhaust could ever hope to beat me, even with a full car-length head start, I decide to kindly re-educate him as to the true capabilities of his vehicle. Without too much effort on my part, I downshifted to fourth (I could have gone to third, but I didn't want to waste the gas on him), blew past him, and lane changed after putting about six car lengths between us so that I could make my turn.

A fun way to come back from lunch.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
SoCal Crew Member

^ i like drivin through the I-5 there. i drove from frisco down back to L.A. and it was just nice.

scenic, no traffic.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Yeah. The Central Valley is pretty open. Mostly agricultural stuff, not too many large cities. Long, flat, and good for cruising.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 PM

thats awesome!
is ur TT stock?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Well, it's not like I can take a great deal of pride in being able to teach a Chevy Cobalt a lesson, but it was a great deal of fun.

But no, not stock. I have a 180TTQ with the Unitronic "+" chip.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Your lucky it wasn't that new SS.... you might have had a problem then!

Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chris
Amused at his belief that his sedan cobalt with an exhaust could ever hope to beat me, even with a full car-length head start,

A fun way to come back from lunch.
Hopefully he just wanted to see how strong your TT was.
I came across a Porsche GT3 RSR the other day, and tried to get his attention, not because I thought i was a match for him, but to see his car run.

Anyway, thanks for making us proud.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by beachchair
Hopefully he just wanted to see how strong your TT was.
I came across a Porsche GT3 RSR the other day, and tried to get his attention, not because I thought i was a match for him, but to see his car run.

Anyway, thanks for making us proud.
For his sake, I hope that's the case.

You're welcome! Although, again, I don't know how much pride a Cobalt kill can really inspire. It's just very rare for me to actually have to do that, and I got a big kick out of it.