Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Check engine light

hello
I own a 2001 tt quattro 225, Nimbus gray coupe. Could someone tell me how to disable the "check engine light"?
I have a code reader and use it to reset the light (always a nuisence code, never anything you need to be aware of so far)
I get the check engine about once a month, what a pain.Car runs great and handles just fine, recently replaced alternator at dealer
800$+ and all four coils another 400$, one failed, did not want to chance the other three. If anyone can help me rid myself of this light it is appreciated.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:27 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Check engine light

What code keeps coming up?

Old 11-18-2005, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

First of all what is the code so we can help you

Second you cant disable the light

Third if it comes on every month then the computer has detected a problem with the emission system

This is most likley a vacum hose since you say every month after you clear it

Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Hello
The code that keeps coming up is 17536 (long term fuel trim-system too lean, bank 1).What does this mean? I thought fuel injected vehicles automaticly adjusted lean/rich mixture. I only run 93 or better octane, engine runs perfectly even with light on, it is just annoying. Any help is appreciated. Thanks All. Also sometimes the switch panel that has the rear hatch, gas filler and security switches loses power, is there a fuse for this panel, could not locate one as of yet.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

Fuel injected vehicles do adjust. That is why the car still runs good. The system lean mesagge comes on after the ecm has to alter fuel trim so much. Check for a small vacuum leak. Also take a look at your mass airflow readings if you have the capability. Also check injector output and spray pattern.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I will check for vac. leak. Can a service dept. check if a MAF is going out or needs to be changed? Every time my car is checked out by the audi dealer they say everything is just fine...but I stilll get the check engine light very frequently, I reset it with my code reader, always same code 17536.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

its your maf. replaced at least 3 with same code in past 3 months at the dealer i work for. and its only on 1.8t tt's. maf still reads fine in the gm/s. probably why the dealer thinks theres nothing wrong with it. just get a reman from the dealer and put it in yourself. should be about 80 bucks or so. if and when you have checked vacuum lines and all checks ok

Old 11-23-2005, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

Thanks alot, your help is very much appreciated, found new Bosch Maf for about 80 bucks on ebay, says new not remanufactured, should I still buy the remanufactured one from audi dealer? I bougth a VW/AUDI code reader on ebay for 69 dollars, comes with code booklet. Read and erase function, ABS,ENGINE, TRANNY,And AIRBAGS. It is a GENISCAN GS200 OBD II, 16 pin. Plugs in right under dash, easy to use. I have had very good luck with this scanner and the price is hard to beat. I like that you can read and erase codes, but you do not HAVE to erase codes if you want them there for the dealer to access. or the poor mans way just remove the wire leading to the fuse block on top of the positive battery cable for a few seconds, this clears the "check engine light" also, this is what I did before I got the scanner, now I know what the code is and I mark it in my booklet. So far the only code has been the 17536 code. I hope to change the MAF and fix it, after checking vac. leaks, thanks to everyone for the help.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 PM
3rd Gear

You may not be able to get a remaned one at a dealer. New ones are around 200 bucks.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

Ok
Thanks for the suggestions, i just changed out my MAF with a new one, car ran perfect for about 20 miles, then the CEL came back on and it felt like i was not getting full turbo boost. I put my code reader on it and 17536 long term fuel trim once again is the culprit. I would like some advice on just which lines it is that I should check for a leak? I am now sure the MAF is not the problem. Any advice will help.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Check engine light