Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Changing out stock front speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Changing out stock front speakers?

Can anybody tell me how to replace the front speakers on a 2003 fwd 180 TT? I found out that the speaker cover doesnt just pop off, looks like i have to take off the whole door panel!

Has anybody done this, and can anyone give me some pointers?

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Changing out stock front speakers?

Nothing is easy on an Audi. Start by removing the inner door panel.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Is it screwed in? I couldnt see any screws after a quick look

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: keefboz

Is it screwed in? I couldnt see any screws after a quick look
One Cap and Screw at bottom of door handle. Remove clips front and rear.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: keefboz

Can anybody tell me how to replace the front speakers on a 2003 fwd 180 TT? I found out that the speaker cover doesnt just pop off, looks like i have to take off the whole door panel!

Has anybody done this, and can anyone give me some pointers?

Thank you!
I have never owned a car that you can just pop off the cover. I have always had to remove the door panel.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Dude if you don't know stereo's or that stuff I wouldn't suggest tearing your car apart. If you do replace the speakers you will have to install crossovers for every speaker, change the bose deck out on top of buying nive component door speakers. I rewired my whole system and replaced every single speaker. It took me a whole weekend with help. I bought kicker competition component speakers and I had to fabricate a way for the speakers to the door panel. Unless you like that type of sadistic crap like me I wouldn't touch it.

If you walk into a stereo place they will charge you out the ear because its an audi. When I told the shop what I was doing with all the speakers, cables, crossovers and amps, your looking at $1000 in speakers and amps alone. The knew me but they said if I had brought it in there and asked for that they would have charged 500-1200 depending for all the instalation.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mac_17

Dude if you don't know stereo's or that stuff I wouldn't suggest tearing your car apart. If you do replace the speakers you will have to install crossovers for every speaker, change the bose deck out on top of buying nive component door speakers. I rewired my whole system and replaced every single speaker. It took me a whole weekend with help. I bought kicker competition component speakers and I had to fabricate a way for the speakers to the door panel. Unless you like that type of sadistic crap like me I wouldn't touch it.

If you walk into a stereo place they will charge you out the ear because its an audi. When I told the shop what I was doing with all the speakers, cables, crossovers and amps, your looking at $1000 in speakers and amps alone. The knew me but they said if I had brought it in there and asked for that they would have charged 500-1200 depending for all the instalation.
Ha....Not gonna say anything. Peace!!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:59 AM
2nd Gear

When I told the shop what I was doing with all the speakers, cables, crossovers and amps, your looking at $1000 in speakers and amps alone.
If you're going to upgrade your stereo... take your time and do it right. If you got amplifiers, speakers, and cables... for under $1,000... then you cheaped out and bought mediocre equipment. btw... the components will come with crossovers. Honestly.. If you're looking for decent replacement speakers for your front speakers... check out Focal Utopia 6½" components (I am currently running utopias in the front and in the back in the TT) or check out Focal K2 Power components, CDT Gold Series components, or DLS components. Stay away from anything that says infinity, alpine (unless its a head unit), pioneer (unless its a headunit), JBL, JL Audio (unless its a subwoofer), Rockford Fosgate, Polk, Sony, etc. If you're okay with "decent sound", I guess you can get some of the high end products from them... but otherwise... stay away from all the BestBuy and Circuit City brands.

For amplifiers, if you're on a budget... Phoenix Gold and Soundstream are good choices... otherwise, check out Zapco, McIntosh, and Brax.

For components (front speakers), stay with Focal, CDT, DLS,and Brax

For rear speakers, get a basic coaxial speaker set (rear speakers are less important because they are only for fill. Real high end audio setups ordinarily don't even use rear speakers; they use the front speakers to create a sound image that sounds as though it comes from front and rear.
Good brands for rear fill... Focal Polyglass, CDT Gold Series, Boston Acoustics, MB Quart

Subwoofers... More powerdoes NOTmean better. I have a 12" subwoofer powered by a 600watt amplifier that blows away two 2,000 watt Rockford Fosgate 12"s. Just because a sub uses more power... that only means it will DRAIN more power, doesn't mean it sounds better or louder.

Good Brands... JL Audio w7 series, MTX Thunder 9500 series (almost an indestructible driver), adire audio, FI Audio, Illusion Audio, elemental Designs audio (they make a mean flat sub. 2.5" deep, only needs 0.3ft³ airspace),
Stay away from Kicker, Rockford, Alpine, JBL, etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

When I told the shop what I was doing with all the speakers, cables, crossovers and amps, your looking at $1000 in speakers and amps alone.
If you're going to upgrade your stereo... take your time and do it right. If you got amplifiers, speakers, and cables... for under $1,000... then you cheaped out and bought mediocre equipment. btw... the components will come with crossovers. Honestly.. If you're looking for decent replacement speakers for your front speakers... check out Focal Utopia 6½" components (I am currently running utopias in the front and in the back in the TT) or check out Focal K2 Power components, CDT Gold Series components, or DLS components. Stay away from anything that says infinity, alpine (unless its a head unit), pioneer (unless its a headunit), JBL, JL Audio (unless its a subwoofer), Rockford Fosgate, Polk, Sony, etc. If you're okay with "decent sound", I guess you can get some of the high end products from them... but otherwise... stay away from all the BestBuy and Circuit City brands.

For amplifiers, if you're on a budget... Phoenix Gold and Soundstream are good choices... otherwise, check out Zapco, McIntosh, and Brax.

For components (front speakers), stay with Focal, CDT, DLS,and Brax

For rear speakers, get a basic coaxial speaker set (rear speakers are less important because they are only for fill. Real high end audio setups ordinarily don't even use rear speakers; they use the front speakers to create a sound image that sounds as though it comes from front and rear.
Good brands for rear fill... Focal Polyglass, CDT Gold Series, Boston Acoustics, MB Quart

Subwoofers... More powerdoes NOTmean better. I have a 12" subwoofer powered by a 600watt amplifier that blows away two 2,000 watt Rockford Fosgate 12"s. Just because a sub uses more power... that only means it will DRAIN more power, doesn't mean it sounds better or louder.

Good Brands... JL Audio w7 series, MTX Thunder 9500 series (almost an indestructible driver), adire audio, FI Audio, Illusion Audio, elemental Designs audio (they make a mean flat sub. 2.5" deep, only needs 0.3ft³ airspace),
Stay away from Kicker, Rockford, Alpine, JBL, etc.
Haha, your opinion is tainted. You only like the esoteric stuff. It takes a special sense to hear the difference between a high end infinity and your crazy expensivestuff . He is right though. Stay away from the cheap stuff. If you want a good deal on infinity I can get you some infinity kappa or kappa perfect components for less than half msrp. They have to be used with a good amp though.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM
2nd Gear

Don't get me wrong:
I appreciate good music, but like to hear the sound of the engine while driving my TT. The radio is just there for background noise.

Quick Reply: Changing out stock front speakers?