Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!

Well......Friday I got a call from the dealership and they were already to release the car but the original throttle body wouldnt adapt to the new unit. The car would still run but the service engine light remained on all the time. So I went ahead and bought a new throttle body($500.00). Also on Friday, you guys are going to kill me for this one, I found out that the oil pan drain plug was stripped and had jacked up the oil pan ($500.00). (This is the part you will all give me flak over) Jiffy Lube did my last oil change and they are the ones that jacked it all up. So I am in a battle with them to get them to pay for the repair. They called me Monday and said that they would only pay half, because there policy is to only pay for what the part would be worht at the time of the damage. Thus an oil pan with 65,000 miles is only worht 250 bucks to them. So I wrote a letter to the Better Business Bureau, complaining about it. If I dont hear anything back by tomorrow I am going to file in small claims court. Anyway, without Jiffy Lube covering there part the new final bill is $6,051.33. I'm hoping the loan will go through no later than Thursday. I miss my car.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 AM
5th Gear

= NOT $500!!!!

Oh man, not to rub it in, but I wouldn't trust my car to ANY oil change shop. I've heard stories like that before. One guy I know had a oil fill plug cross threaded in on his wifes car, lost all the oil by the time she got home. Another guy I work with had them put the plug in with the impact gun, stripped that out too. After watching a oil change place do my A4 last year, I decided never again. Scariest 15 minutes of my life.

Good luck with Better Business.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

I know, I know I usually do them myself but I was feeling lazy that day. Guess I learned my lesson. Anyway I should get my loan approval either today or tomorrow, I cant wait to get my car back!

Old 10-26-2005, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

boy im glad i bought my warranty to 98,000. i think im going to cut my timing belt and say oops it broke and have a little warranty work done to it. mines at 75,000 just bought it, i dont wanna take any chances.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

Just finnished replacing my tb myself. Lot of work but worth the $700 that I saved in labor. In all took me a day and a half. Next would go a lot faster since you figure out how everything comes apart. Not to hard just have some patience. Bought mine a couple weeks ago with 64k and have heard everyone say its best to do it know. I too have a warranty but did not want to run the chance of them saying that it wasn't a warranty issue. In total parts cost about $278 from blauparts.com

Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

i ordered all my parts today from audi 280 total and found a friend ase cert. who will do it for 100 bucks. i said heck ya cant beat that. 280 was timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, serpintine belt, serp. idler, and o ring. i cant complain. beats 5,000 anyday, thanks for the warning man, i would have found out the hard way.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

No worries man, glad I could help. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on all of those parts too.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

yea, i work at a salvage yard here in cincy, i get list price from all dealers which makes it kind of nice.specially since tt parts are kind of expensive

Old 11-09-2005, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Well, I don't know if I should say this, but my timing belt went a last monday wensday and I thought I had to replace the head along with all those other items. I replaced the belt, the water pump, the bearing inside the idler roller and serviced the tensioner 125.00 dollars later and a few hours of work I was back on the road. You may want to check around, I don't think these cylinder heads get bent valves from timing belt failure. I thought that turbocharged cars had low compression wich gives the extra room for the valves to be open yet not touching the pistons. I could be wrong but I don't trust dealers.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Naw, I saw it. It was definately F'ed up.

Quick Reply: CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!