Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Carbon Fiber Hood $470

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Carbon Fiber Hood $470

Mmmmmm....weight reduction.

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=3499

Pretty good price too, might have to add this to my build sheet. The hood and a Hawker battery might actually offset the weight of the stereo and move the weight to the back for better corner balance...hmmm.

Since I'm painting the roof black anyways I could probably get away with leaving it unpainted further reducing cost.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Hood $470

Probably not going to be that much weight savings as the TT hood is mostly aluminum.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm make believe

that would cut of a good 20-30lbs off the front. i did one on my old lancer and the weight differnce was unbelievable. Leave it unpainted, they come wilth a layer of clearcoat and with the blue will set your car off.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

that would look hot, is that a whole in the corner or is that just glare?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

Probably not going to be that much weight savings as the TT hood is mostly aluminum.
that i did not know, it is really hard to tell how heavy it is with the shocks attached.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

yeah, the hood is pretty lightweight to begin with - can't see where that can do a great deal of difference... now if there a carbon fiber hatch...

Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

I did find fenders too. Google search 'Carbon fiber TT fenders', Im sure you will run across them.somewhere in the results.

CF is still considerably lighter then aluminum. You can get a hood down to between 6-12lbs depending on the bracing and how much resin they use. Even though it wont be a huge or noticeable difference, it will be apparant on the track.

As far as performance goes everylittle bit of weightyou shave off a car makes a difference. A CF hood in addition to a lighter wheel/tire combo, a lighter battery, removeing some sound deadening, some race seats, lighter brakes, maybe some fenders...it all adds up and collectively makes a very big difference. But until youve driven a car before and after a good series of weight reduction you really tend to underestimate the importance.

This post isnt saying a CF hood alone will make you substantially quicker, I just found a good price on PART of the regiment and thought I would share.

I'm still looking for the hatch but even if you found one you would almost have to go to a lexan window to make it effective as most of the weight is the glass. Of course at that point youre completely sacrificing aesthetics, which is most of the reason to own a TT in the first place. If you just wanted to go fast theres much more effective ways to go about that.

Since I wanna go low 13's in an AWD car without rebuilding the motorand sacrificing as little luxury as possible, some mild weight reduction will probably be a necessary part of the equation.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear

If you are really interested in building a lighter faster car.. here are the instructions

Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Dude, I drove a gutted 94 Civic Si Hatchback for better then 3 years. I know how to make a car substantially quicker with virtually no power. Basic bolt-ons(intake, header, exhuast, FPR, clutch,flightened street flywheel)with the stock D16Z6 with no interior from the drivers seat back. CF Hood and duckbill, rotas and some falken Azenis Sports. Removed power steering, ABS, A/C, SRSand all related components, you could lierally stand in the empty space in my engine bay. It was great fun to drive, almost reminiscent of a go kart with a motor that was far too big but it was nothing you wanted to take a lady out on a saturday night in, if you could convice her it was safe to begin with

Removing weight from a car with ruthless efficiency is not rocket science (SCC did an article where they put a sentra in the 13's with nothing but a sawzall and some duct-tape). Removing weight while maintaing creature comforts and style is a whole different game. I bought the TT because I wanted the comfort of a much nicer car and I dont intend to compromise on that too much for raw agression.

If I didnt care about the quality and comfort of the ride I would've kept the hatch or grown a mullet and bought a Camaro. If I can make the TT comparable to the B7 S4 and keep the luxuries I'll be a happy camper. I've got my build pretty well planned out though, so If I overshoot the goal then thats all the better.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

Calm down.. I was just kidding around.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood $470