Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Car for a teen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car for a teen?

Diluted kid? Like he thins out alot in water?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: fr0st m0nkey

In most of the threads I have read, the three common problems are the AC, the timing belt, and the water pump. I drive less than 7k miles a year, and ~$60 for every 20k miles doesn't sound unreasonable. If I were to go test drive one, what should I look for?

Also, I'd like to apologize. I was in a bad mood for the majority of yesterday and became really hostile after fighting with my girlfriend, so I took it out on you guys. I'm sorry for being an ***, I just didn't take the initial responses like they were intended.
Then please remove some of my tone from the above post. But seriously, this is a forum where people post the problems they have and are trying to fix. So ofcourse you are going to see problems posted about the cars. The TB and WP are just common maintence. The stock WP was plastic and could break and ruin the engine, one of the reasons for an early TB replacement along with the tensioner.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

This sounds like one of the dipsticks that buy a tt and end up selling it exactly one year later. This forum is filled with "I sold my tt, blah, blah". I would expect to spend $1500 within the first 6 months for sure. Timing belt is more then half alone.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Speaking as someone who's had a TT for just about a year and have put20,000 miles on the car in that time, I've found this forum VERY informative for mod ideas and repair issues myself, YMMV. Do your homework, change the tensioner and TB as preventive mantainance and its a great little fun car that you don't see 10 of every day. BMW's, and Merc's abound where I work and I like being a little different. The other thing to keep in mind,I'm in salesmyself, when things go fine people are quiet and you don't hear from them, but the instant things go wrong everyone and their brother hears about it in spades. Online forums are similar. People who don't have issues don't complain (They are out driving their cars with smiles on their faces), so the board reads more like a laundry list of issues than anything. Other than the TB dealevery 60K I'vehad nothing out of the ordinary go wrong. Just normal wear & tear on tires brakes oil changes etc.

225 QC with 71k on the clock and going strong...

BF

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
4th Gear

I was in a bad mood for the majority of yesterday and became really hostile after fighting with my girlfriend
i know the feeling all too well...

Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear

Actually, in my experiences, most TT's are midlife crisis cars driven by middle aged men. They don't really drive it much harder than any other car, they just want something that looks nice. I bought mine off a guy just like that. Def. wasn't an enthusiast, as he destroyed the interior with coffee/dog.
Ouch that kinda hurt.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear

It cost me $1300 to have repaired.
Dude, you lucked out on a TB repair...usually it's $3000+ when a TB breaks.

If I were to go test drive one, what should I look for?
I think I'm gonna go write about this...

edit: done. http://audittmk1.blogspot.com/

Old 05-12-2008, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear

I was actually looking at a 2003 C320 on black 19's, so I think I might just go that route. They seem to have better reliability.
Do your research. Mercedes are worse. Virtually all European cars are going to have more "issues" than your Japanese cars. It's all what you want. You should stick to a Honda. Don't even test drive a European car or you'll hate life when you can't have one.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: beachchair

You are talking two different classifications of cars and owners. The C320 owner most likely can't change a tire, and may remember to take the car in for required service. The older TT owner most likely is a car enthsiast and drives the car harder, but does more than the required maintenance. Which you think is better is up to you. The Audi is not "unreliable and poorly built" you are just on a forum of knowledgeable enthusiasts, who work on their own cars and are sharing their experiences.
HEY! Who you callin' OLD? Just because I have kids older than a lot of folks here doesn't make me old! (And, yeh, I take excellent care of my car, but run her hard.)

Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

I want a somewhat flashy car, and you can't tell me you guys don't want a flashy car either or else you wouldn't be driving a TT. If you really cared solely about performance, the TT would be the last on your list.

One thing that is going to really draw me away from the Audi TT is the lack of community support. I asked a question and you guys gathered around and flamed me for "bashing" your precious TT rather than answering. I would expect that from members, but a moderator? You're supposed be above that and prevent it from happening.

@exTTreme and WishIWasRWD: Thanks for actually contributing to the thread.
You are one diluted kid. I was always a HUGE fan of the A4 and the 1.8T. The only reason i took the TT over the A4 is because the car was so comfortable and fun to drive (i love sport car seating). As for performance.... LOL, you are just retarted. The 1.8T is a very potent engine and is more than capable of making big numbers all while getting extremely good mpg's. My engine is currently stroked out to 2L (increase of 227cc) and will be seeing over 400whp on the street and 500whp when asked. I would call that very good performance all while weighing in at under 2700lbs.

Lack of support? Sorry that people here didnt butter you up so when something happens you come here and bitch and cry about how no one told you that there was a chance of problems. If you didnt want to know the problems, you shouldnt of even bothered making the thread... stupid kids [:@]

Cincy's in a bad mood because Becca (ouTTie914)spanked him! Twice! [8D]

Quick Reply: Car for a teen?