Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Car for a teen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Car for a teen?

@exTTreme and WishIWasRWD: Thanks for actually contributing to the thread.
your welcome.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear

Haha... Thanks for taking care of that for me.

No problem man.

Trust us we see a lot of people come through asking if they should buy a TT, and with the reasons they give, the TT is not the car for 80% of the people who ask.

We know that if we reccommend a TT to someone who would be better suited to another car we'll be the ones hearing you guyswhine about it

These other guys aren't really trying to bash you they are just trying to make a point. (with a touch of defense thrown in)

Except Cincy... He's just a jerk.

That's why he's our mod... We like the abuse

ORIGINAL: theTTkid

your welcome.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

I'm at 60k miles, on a 2002 model. I have yet to have a single issue other than stupid mechanics at the crappy local dealership that don't know how to fix a radio. Mechanically, the car is fine.

You say you found a website giving a 1/10 for reliability. How many people voted? 1, 10, 100? Did you then go look for a site that rated it as a 10/10? Again, you would have to check how many people voted.

$1500 will likely not last you any significant amount of time, regardless of whether you choose the Mercedes or Audi. The second you walk in to a shop and ask for a repair quote, they will up the price when they get the answer to what kind of car you drive. How quickly can you replenish your savings account? If the car totally goes dead, do you have a backup money source?

Not to mention the upgrades you will almost be 100% likely to want. Trust me, you can't reasonably afford to do everything you, or we, would love to do to it. Otherwise, you would already own one w/out having to worry about asking us. You'll go broke trying.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: fr0st m0nkey

One thing that is going to really draw me away from the Audi TT is the lack of community support. I asked a question and you guys gathered around and flamed me for "bashing" your precious TT rather than answering. I would expect that from members, but a moderator? You're supposed be above that and prevent it from happening.

look, I don't have any problems with young TT owners, since I'm 20, but I have my reservations about people that ask for help, and when presented with said help from a knowledgeable person, ignore it and interpret everything else said as "flaming".

As said before, seeing that 19's attract you more about a car than anything else, I myself find your thinking a little immature to be making a decision at this time. Do more research, get more sources, drive both cars and consider other options.

And for God's sake learn how to spell mercedes. If you did that on purpose I understand why people think you're immature.

Aside from my little rant here, I think the TT is not the car for you. If you don't do some stuff yourself it will cost you a lot.
If you're worried about the price of repairs, get a civic. You can put black 19's on those too.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 AM

When I was shopping for cars this time around, I knew I wanted a luxury vehicle. I had gotten a higher paying job, and had never had a really nice car. I was looking at Saabs, Merc's, Audi's, BMW's, and Infiniti's. You can't mention those car names w/o someone saying "oh repairs are gonna be an arm and a leg". If you want a cheap car to maintain, then buy a cheap car. Honda or Ford should be really good for that. But sometimes you gotta pay to play. Premium gas is almost $4/gal where I live. Oh well. I knew going in that I was going to have to buy premium. My timing belt and water pump took a crap on me. It cost me $1300 to have repaired. Sucked, but oh well. Again I knew that going in. If you aren't willing to come off some cash when something happens you should probably look elsewhere. And while it was a pain to shell out that much cash for a repair. I LOVE MY AUDI TT!!! I'm an Audi fan for life.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

If I read this thread 2 months ago, I'm not sure if I would have purchased my TT. I say just get the TB and WP replaced if there are no records of it being done with your 1500... Drive the car, be happy. Just don't put black 19's on it.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

You must either be uninformed or living on another planet. The reliability of Mercedes is one of the worst ever. Only the ones built in the late 70's early 80's are reliable. I have owned my TT for a year and had no issues. They are expensive to fix and maintain however. As was mentioned you may want to get a Japanese car instead.

dale

Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

In most of the threads I have read, the three common problems are the AC, the timing belt, and the water pump. I drive less than 7k miles a year, and ~$60 for every 20k miles doesn't sound unreasonable. If I were to go test drive one, what should I look for?

Also, I'd like to apologize. I was in a bad mood for the majority of yesterday and became really hostile after fighting with my girlfriend, so I took it out on you guys. I'm sorry for being an ***, I just didn't take the initial responses like they were intended.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: fr0st m0nkey
I want a somewhat flashy car, and you can't tell me you guys don't want a flashy car either or else you wouldn't be driving a TT. If you really cared solely about performance, the TT would be the last on your list.

One thing that is going to really draw me away from the Audi TT is the lack of community support. I asked a question and you guys gathered around and flamed me for "bashing" your precious TT rather than answering. I would expect that from members, but a moderator? You're supposed be above that and prevent it from happening.

You are one diluted kid. I was always a HUGE fan of the A4 and the 1.8T. The only reason i took the TT over the A4 is because the car was so comfortable and fun to drive (i love sport car seating). As for performance.... LOL, you are just retarted. The 1.8T is a very potent engine and is more than capable of making big numbers all while getting extremely good mpg's. My engine is currently stroked out to 2L (increase of 227cc) and will be seeing over 400whp on the street and 500whp when asked. I would call that very good performance all while weighing in at under 2700lbs.

Lack of support? Sorry that people here didnt butter you up so when something happens you come here and bitch and cry about how no one told you that there was a chance of problems. If you didnt want to know the problems, you shouldnt of even bothered making the thread... stupid kids [:@]

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: WishIWasRWD

Except Cincy... He's just a jerk.

That's why he's our mod... We like the abuse
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: Car for a teen?