Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Car for a teen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car for a teen?

2 years 0 problems and I beat on my car like it owes me money but I never miss oil changes and always let it cool down for a few minutes after driving 2001 225Q 98k miles

Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear

Agreed... I drive my car HARD.

Only problem i've had with the car was the clutch at 70k + miles... Which isn't bad for the original clutch.

I think there are a very small amount of these cars that actually have any major problems.
(Minor pain in the *** stuff and glitches are common though.)

A large amount of the people that are complaining are retards that are modifying them half-assed while ignoring routine maintenance.

Budget Ballers need not apply.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Site Moderator

If you don't respect the car, the car won't respect you. IMO, if your talking about build quality i've worked on both mercedes and audi, and mercedes are far from better build quality.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

I'm not knocking Audi, I just read a review website and it was given a 1/10 by multiple people on reliability. The C320 scored fairly well in the reliability. I'm not even talking car manufacturers here, I'm talking specific vehicles, so quit comparing Audi to Mercedez. As far as reliability goes, my family owns a window tint/car stereo shop and we have an account with the local mercedez dealership-- meaning I won't get killed in repairs because we are on good terms with the faculty. I want a somewhat flashy car, and you can't tell me you guys don't want a flashy car either or else you wouldn't be driving a TT. If you really cared solely about performance, the TT would be the last on your list.

One thing that is going to really draw me away from the Audi TT is the lack of community support. I asked a question and you guys gathered around and flamed me for "bashing" your precious TT rather than answering. I would expect that from members, but a moderator? You're supposed be above that and prevent it from happening.

@exTTreme and WishIWasRWD: Thanks for actually contributing to the thread.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 AM
2nd Gear

Rant time.

One thing that is going to really draw me away from the Audi TT is the lack of community support. I asked a question and you guys gathered around and flamed me for "bashing" your precious TT rather than answering. I would expect that from members, but a moderator? You're supposed be above that and prevent it from happening.
FFS, where did anybody accuse you of "bashing" the TT and flame you about it? They gave input as to why they feel your perception of its build quality is wrong. As for moderators, cincyTT gave you one of the most concise and accurate replies as the first reply to your thread just like you asked for. And he assumed you were trying to impress people with a German car which you just admitted to saying you "want a somewhat flashy car." How is that flaming?

And personally I think being attracted towards a Merc because "it has black 19's" is a pretty immature thing to base a car buying decision on...especially considering modified cars are generally WORSE and LESS RELIABLE to buy second hand. I don't blame people on here for criticizing you for it.
</rant>

Anyway, what cincy said kinda sums it up, if you don't know how to or don't want to work on cars, it's not a good idea to buy one of these. Your rents may have hookups to a Benz dealership but you'll probably still get ripped off way more than if you take your car to a local shop or do the work yourself. They're not built poorly...the engines/transmissions are solid and can take a lot more power than they come with and can take some abuse too. The interior quality is top notch and the exterior is excellent as well. The only thing that sucks in VW/Audi is the electrical.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

I'm used to a very organized MR2 Spyder community with a whole forum dedicated solely to the car, not a subforum in a larger forum. While his first response did indeed answer my question, the reply (and those that followed) felt somewhat condescending because I'm a teenager. Just because I'm young doesn't automatically make me stupid, and "flashy" doesn't necessarily mean European. Also, why does everybody assume I was drawn to the C320 because of black rims? I mentioned it had black 19's on it, I didn't say "I'm going to buy this car because it has black 19s and I want to save money". I understand what you're saying about modded cars being less reliable from having been beaten on, but I don't feel as though very many people are going to beat on a C320... It's not exactly a sports car. I like the Audi TT (and it would be nice to have an AWD vehicle for making trips to the snow), but I'm assuming the general consensus for me buying a TT is a no due to high maintenance costs and electrical problems. If anybody has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

The C320 as far as I know is marketed as a sports sedan. Being beaten on isn't the only thing that triggers problems with modded cars, sometimes people mod stuff really half-assedly and just do a hack job all around, thinking they know what they're doing when they don't. A clean used car from someone who took their car to a dealer to do all the maintenance is a much safer bet.

You seem to be geared towards the C320 at this point, but I'd test drive both first. Driving a small, agile turbocharged car is a pretty convincing experience over a larger V6 sedan.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 AM
2nd Gear

You are talking two different classifications of cars and owners. The C320 owner most likely can't change a tire, and may remember to take the car in for required service. The older TT owner most likely is a car enthsiast and drives the car harder, but does more than the required maintenance. Which you think is better is up to you. The Audi is not "unreliable and poorly built" you are just on a forum of knowledgeable enthusiasts, who work on their own cars and are sharing their experiences.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM
5th Gear

The older TT owner most likely is a car enthsiast
Actually, in my experiences, most TT's are midlife crisis cars driven by middle aged men. They don't really drive it much harder than any other car, they just want something that looks nice. I bought mine off a guy just like that. Def. wasn't an enthusiast, as he destroyed the interior with coffee/dog.

But anyway, consider this.... haldex maintenance is every 20K miles. It costs at a minimum ~$60. Thats for a filter the size of a plum, and 1qt of oil, if you do it yourself. They aren't cheap cars, and like mentioned, there are the occasional bad build. Just know this, and be prepared for the worst. $1500 could last you years maintaining the car, or it could last you months.

Not trying to turn you away, just making sure you know what you could be getting into.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: achTTung

The older TT owner most likely is a car enthsiast
Actually, in my experiences, most TT's are midlife crisis cars driven by middle aged men.
I was actually referring to the car being older, but I see your point.

Quick Reply: Car for a teen?