Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Car for a teen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Car for a teen?

I'm in the market for a different car and the audi TT is another car in my price range. I only drive like 7,000 miles a year, but I don't want this car to break down on me and have to pay $5000 in repairs. I've read that these cars are very poorly built, but their attractive styling and design keeps drawing me back to them. If I bought one with like 70-80 thousand miles (I want the AWD model) for like 10k-ish, how much money would I be looking to spend in repairs? I'd only have like $1500 in the bank put away for repairs.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Car for a teen?

They are not poorly built, just some have issues and also since they are turbocharged, they have more moving parts. If you dont have the money or talent to work on cars, a higher milage audi/vw 1.8t isnt for you.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

I think there isa potentialissuewith buying any performance/enthusiast used car as there is a good chance it was driven hard which stresses the mechanical systems.

Your safest bet is to find a well maintained car that one of your parent's friends is about to trade in.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

If they have issues isn't that basically the same as saying they're poorly built? Don't take it personally because you already own one, I was just asking as a potential buyer. So you guys are saying $1500 isn't enough to cover mechanical problems and they aren't very reliable? (aka don't buy one?)

Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 PM
4th Gear

do take it personally but i think if you already have such a problem trusting a tt then maybe you shouldnt get one.

maybe you should get a honda or toyota thats cheap to fix

Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

I was actually looking at a 2003 C320 on black 19's, so I think I might just go that route. They seem to have better reliability.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm make believe

I personally havent had any problems with mine except the a/ccompressor went out. But like i said, some have problems. Its the same as all other cars, some people get a bad one or a problem that no one can figure out and it ruins the rep of the car. The thing is that the common problems likepremature tb wearor clusters fading are about $800+ for a replacement. Not all have them, just some here and there. The TB can be changed early but if you get lazy and it fails, the engine is ruined.

But what i was getting at before is that if you dont know anything about cars and take it to someone, it can get really expensive. With an ageing car, vac lines, maf, o2's, and so on will go bad and if you dont know the symptoms or how to replace them, you will be paying an arm and a leg for it when you can fix some by simply cutting or replacing a $0.25 vac line. So again, if you cant or dont want to worry about something like this, the 1.8t isnt for you and you should look into a gti with a VR6 instead.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 PM
4th Gear

if black 19s on a mercedes is what gets you to buy a car... oh geez.

tt's are reliable. and if you have a bit of knowledge you can fix a lot on them.

...really? black 19s drew you into a "reliable" mercedes? wow

Old 05-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm make believe

SOunds like he is a kid that is trying to impress people with a german car.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
4th Gear

^ agreed. pff.. friggin kids

btw, im 18 frost and have the car. i dont have trouble with it either

Quick Reply: Car for a teen?