Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Can't wait...GIAC flash on Wed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Can't wait...GIAC flash on Wed

I'm looking forward to getting my '01 225 flashed on Wed. Tomorrow the Hyberboost DV should show up from Stratmosphere; I'll install that prior to.

I know it's been covered before, but does anyone have any new comments or observations about the GIAC flash? I'll likely get the 93 and stock maps. Maybe a simple question but how do you change between modes?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Can't wait...GIAC flash on Wed

I just got mine about 2-3 weeks ago. Its probably the best mod for your money. I will have to be honest though, sometimes when i'm driving normal, its gets kind of jumpy. But when I step on it, WHOAHHH!! I just wish there was a way to make it smoother along the whole power band. I think if i get a MBC it might help with that, so thats next on my list. Any ideas, let me know.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

I actually just removed my MBC, that I had installed for the same purpose, because the turbo was at full power every time I stepped on it no matter what RPM I was in and once I got off the gas it would kill it immediatly. There was no ease into the power for the turbo to get moving just abrupt power. By all means though this is just my expierence; you might like it.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Having 2nd thoughts based on what I'm hearing. I was back and forth between GIAC and APR. Either way it's a 2-hour drive, no local vendor. I was going GIAC because they tout their software as being smooth and progressive. Jumpy, twitchy and harsh don't sound like what I want in a daily driver. I'm cool with lots more torque throughout the mid and high end, but don't want it to be like an on/off switch withthe boost. My RC51 bike was like that before I loaded a nice map through a Dynojet PowerCommander.

Any other input from users before I dropcoin tomorrow?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm make believe

The turbo is so small that it may seem choppy to some because it is almost instant spool. Plus when you take it and add another 30+ hp to it you will notice it more. The problems i am guessing that people are complaining about with a mbc is that they used a ball and spring mbc. These mbc react way to fast for a tiny turbo and a bleed valve mbc will be way smoother. Bleed valves do not work as quick as a ball and spring and they will make the power much smoother, also they do not spike as badly as ball and spring. So with a nice bleed valve or a boost machine, will make you a very happy with your gaic chip.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

Thanks cincy, I wasn't refering to GIAC being jumpy or twitchy but rather the mbc. I love GIAC and after driving around on REVO for 5 hours (their trial) prior I enjoy the curve much better. But it is all up to YOU! Check out the curves, do the research, figure out where you want to go with your mods. I want to end up with a much larger turbo than a k04 and my set up will be custom for the most part so I went with a chip that will perform the best in the future. None the less I have my reasons and it's your $500 so be sure you have your own.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear

ive heard that APR has the smoothest chip, its supposed to be unnnoticcelble when iddleing, but when you step on it you can feel it, also i have seen that the power output on the GIAC is higher but like they said can be a little less smooth and jumpy, i am gonna get one of them soon, APR probably, i live close to their headquaters, and their customer service is great!!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:23 AM
2nd Gear

Yea it is.
I had someone take my car to APR for me to get the ECU flashed. I paid them over the phone by credit card. Or at least I thought I did. They chipped my ECU andnever charged my cardfor it. That was 3 weeks ago.Now THAT is customer service!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 AM
2nd Gear

2nd.. I've had an APR chip in mine for over 3 years. I really love being able to switch between the 3 programs with only a few clicks on the cruise control stock. Never a problem. Yes, APR is probably the least aggressive of all the chip programs, but it is also the least problematic. Overall, I don't think there is a significant difference in Torque/Hp numbers between the different chips. Minor differences here and there, so the best thing to do is any REVO/GIAC/APR from a local shop that will give you the support.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear

Sometimes I wish I had gotten the different programs built in to the cruise control like that when I got mine. I think the Valet Program would be so useful. Also, the stock setting program would be real useful too in troubleshooting I would imagine.

Quick Reply: Can't wait...GIAC flash on Wed