Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Broken Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Default Broken Timing Belt

I was drivingfriday night and my timing belt broke on my 2001 TT. Its a quattro turbo and this is extra frustrating because the manual says to change the belt at 120,000 miles andI am only at 77,000. It is also ironic because I was going to do the recommended 80,000 milemaintenance on saturday. I looked through the forum and now i notice that that information in the manual maintenance guide is wrong and that the belt can go as soon as 45,000 miles, man I wish I knew that a couple days ago!
I had my car towed home friday night and saturdayI was able to remove the timing belt and the teeth where just popping right off the belt. I pulled the head and there are many broken valves! I am going to take the head in for a valve job, andI will be changing the following items while the engine is apart:
The timing belt, timing belt rollers, serpentine belt roller and belt, water pump, turbo manifold bolts, head bolts, all valve gaskets and seals.
Is there anything thatI should also change or inspect whileI have the engine apart? Anything else that I might have missed? This whole process is quite and ordeal and a process andI would appreciate any helpful advice!
I still am in shock that the recommended maintenance scheudule could be so wrong on when to change the timing belt!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Broken Timing Belt

Rebuild the head and smooth out the pistons. After that, your are fine. That is if the pistons didnt take a mad beating of course.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

was getting the head off a lot of work? It took me 9 hours to do the timing belt, and I think my valves are bent. my tenioner went and my belt skipped about 5 teeth. car runs rough. I can still race up a hill in 6th gear doing 100mph, it just runs rough. no check engine light.

I'm checking compression this evening.

I have had the head off other cars, is this one tough? should I sell it as is? there is no dealer in my town.

good luck - PS

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 PM

1.8t heads are not hard to pull off. i pull it off with the exhaust manifold and turbo still on the head. just remember the coolant flanges sometimes leaks if you re use it. but overall it is very straight forward. Just make note of all the vacuum lines you pull off. it will pay off during reinstallation.