Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Boring out a KO4

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Boring out a KO4

I think its about time to say you dont bore out a turbo. You can clip it and port the inlet and outlet.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm...well, maybe you should talk to APR themselves, and Dahlback racing, AND most almost any Audi tech who'll tell you that while the 1.8 is a genius of an engine, with that much horsepower you want to some internal work...sure you could forego it, but I'd want to know my engine's gonna last as long as possible with that kind of HP, no matter how many people now are making that kind of HP on stock. Anyone with a little sense knowswhat happens when you make all that kind of HP and don't prep the engine to handle it long term.
And boring outthe K04 is obviously out of the question. Check the 287 kits...my bet is they don't come with a FMIC..you want to run that power on stock SMIC? And i don't trust a tcarbon. I've seen too many people completely screw up their engines and mods by not being patient, and putting in the money it takes to do it right. As for the brakes and suspension, a big brake kit is minimum 2k, hell a stage 2 kit is that much, and the suspension you need for 400 power should be a little higher grade than some sport shocks and springs you buy for $600..5k may be a little high all included, so maybe 4k if you find the stuff you need for a good price. In the end maybe it just depends on what you want to do with your 400 hp...I don't see doing anything else but supplementing it with everything else it needs to completley balance out and harness all the added HP.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

I think its about time to say you dont bore out a turbo. You can clip it and port the inlet and outlet.
for the purpose of this discussion, the idea is still the same.

also i checked out the link. why is it that there is no t3S60 with a stg 3 wheel.

why are all the t3/t4 with stg3 wheel, wtf is the difference betweeen the wheels in a s60 vs a stg 3 wheel.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: outinfront

Hmmm...well, maybe you should talk to APR themselves, and Dahlback racing, AND most almost any Audi tech who'll tell you that while the 1.8 is a genius of an engine, with that much horsepower you want to some internal work...sure you could forego it, but I'd want to know my engine's gonna last as long as possible with that kind of HP, no matter how many people now are making that kind of HP on stock. Anyone with a little sense knowswhat happens when you make all that kind of HP and don't prep the engine to handle it long term.

Like i said before if you read, you will need new rods and MAYBE new exhaust valves..... THATS IT. And if you talking a gt2871r type power, you dont even need rods unless you plan on running high boost and race gas.

And boring outthe K04 is obviously out of the question. Check the 287 kits...my bet is they don't come with a FMIC..you want to run that power on stock SMIC? Did i say that? Again, you making up things to prove your point. If you get a turbo kit from pagparts which is as nice if not nicer than APR, thats just over $4k and throw in another $1k for ic kit and your still FAR ahead of a APR kit where i have only seen people run 13sec 1/4 miles with. FYI, most fwd 1.8t's run that with just a chip, exhaust, and ic.

And i don't trust a tcarbon. Neither do i, they are ebayish. I've seen too many people completely screw up their engines and mods by not being patient, and putting in the money it takes to do it right. Spending money is fine, but you look like your going overkill and throwing it away on overpriced kits.

As for the brakes and suspension, a big brake kit is minimum 2k, hell a stage 2 kit is that much, My wilwood kit was under $1k and sold my stocks so i only paid $800 out of pocket. For a street car, your not going to need much more than 2 peice rotors and 4 piston calipers up front and nice pads in the rear. and the suspension you need for 400 power should be a little higher grade than some sport shocks and springs you buy for $600..Koni and PSS9's are both just over $1k, again more than enough. Throw in another $500 for sway bar and camber kits and your still FAR below $5k. 5k may be a little high all included, so maybe 4k if you find the stuff you need for a good price. In the end maybe it just depends on what you want to do with your 400 hp...I don't see doing anything else but supplementing it with everything else it needs to completley balance out and harness all the added HP.
Plus most of this is still a DIY job. You really need to start reading the 1.8t section on vortex and learning about the engine since you believe people that want to sell you stuff than what is proven time and time again.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: DurTTy

for the purpose of this discussion, the idea is still the same.

also i checked out the link. why is it that there is no t3S60 with a stg 3 wheel.

why are all the t3/t4 with stg3 wheel, wtf is the difference betweeen the wheels in a s60 vs a stg 3 wheel.
The t3s60 is a turbonetics turbo, the t3 60trim is a garrett turbo. The t3 only comes in one wheel and for a street car, you only want a stage 3 wheel in a t3t4 since its a better balace between a stg 1 wheel for faster spool and stg 5 for more power.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

cuz the t3s60 comes with a stage one wheel.

im trying to find the amout of boost that it will pump at our redline, do you know?

Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm make believe

believe its ~18psi, but i will have to double check to be sure.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

t3S60 or t3/t4 ... yarg.... head hurts so many choices....

the t3t4 hyrbid will hold soemthing around 22 psi i think at redline.. but its freakin hard to find any info on top end boost for these turbos

Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm make believe

you should easily hold over 20psi with a t3t4. A t3t4 is all top end boost

Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

ok i found it !!!! or found something with a few choices in here ... its so annoying to dig through all sorts of crud but sometiems we gotta do it.

Name:  boost_plot_dec_28th.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  74.2 KB