Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Boring out a KO4

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Boring out a KO4

Anyone think boring out, or just doing the work on the stock turbo will do any good? I've heard of turbo shops out there, one in Arizona I think in particular, that will just take your original turbo and make it bigger and better...whatchuthink?

Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Boring out a KO4

cost > gains = not worth it

Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Horsepower is always expensive, but if a car company ever exemplifies this, it's Audi!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear

Horsepower is always expensive, but if a car company ever exemplifies this, it's Audi!
Eh, not so much horsepower as much as anything unrelated to horsepower. You can get 30-40 hp for $400 with a chip. That's pretty good IMO although you can wring more out of more serious turbo cars like evos etc.

But stuff like bodywork...oh my. Everything's a damn ripoff minus Votex (Audi's body kit).

Spoiler? $400. Want an OEM 3.2L bumper? $1000+. Want a single frame bumper? $800. No grill with that, that's another $400. Headlights? $1000 a pair. EFFING PARKING LIGHT BULB: $10. Vented fenders...$600.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Murderface

Eh, not so much horsepower as much as anything unrelated to horsepower. You can get 30-40 hp for $400 with a chip. That's pretty good IMO although you can wring more out of more serious turbo cars like evos etc.

But stuff like bodywork...oh my. Everything's a damn ripoff minus Votex (Audi's body kit).

Spoiler? $400. Want an OEM 3.2L bumper? $1000+. Want a single frame bumper? $800. No grill with that, that's another $400. Headlights? $1000 a pair. EFFING PARKING LIGHT BULB: $10. Vented fenders...$600.
I will have to agree, power out of this car is not that bad of a bang for the $$.

for example, my friend's VR6, cams, pulleys, exhaust,, intake, chip, headers, lightweight pistons+rods. flywheel, bored and enlarged IM. larger injectors, larger MAF bla bla bla...all in all i think he spent 15k+ in these parts alone and he is not any faster than a 180TT + chip and a few bolt ons.

another example :: H22 in 92 accord, doing Low 13s .. SOMETIMES high 12s with slicks, and that car as 26k invested in it.

if compared 1.8T + BT setup will yield much more power than those two variants. lets say for the sake of argument you go apr stage 3. i think thats $5k+ with ic. (just a quick guess) lets say 5k$ kit + 2k$ max labour (throwing that out there for those who need to pay for labour) and for $7k ish you got some serious power... at 1/2 price of what a N/A motor needs.

And this is just one alternative. ---- as for asthetic parts for our cars... FORGET IT... $300 Cupholder... are you kidding? 250$ parking brake cover .. WTF are you smoking?.. pass some of that shiz this way !!! 125$ hazard signal button !!! bast@rds... but thats the difference between aftermarket vs OEM... they know how to pinch you.

having said that ... Bored out K04... any time you want to go and try something that is not prefabbed for you, get ready to $$$$$$$
plus no guarantees on what the actual outcome will be.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

Hold up, fellas...I gotya when it comes to interior and exterior mods. I can't believe it...why in the hell does it cost 300 damn dollars for a pair of knee pad covers...$500 for a rear window spoiler..does anybody ever buy this sh%#???!!
And yea, a jump in 40 hp for a few hundred dollars isn't bad at all..but that's about where it stops. Even if you don't go with a turbo kit..apr stage 3 is 6700 before taxes and installation (another $1750). You're looking at 9 grand right there..then you have to get your full exhaust and do your internal engine work-your cam, pistons, minor head work, polishing, seal adjustment...and all this is before you put your new intake manifold on, which requires some polishing and displacement work also. All said and done, you can be pushing around 430 horses and 450 torque all parts and labor for around 15k...THEN, you need the other things to handle that hp..namely your brake upgrade and suspension...another 5-6 grand installed..still not counting a wheel and tire upgrade. So around 20-23k, you can have lots of hp and the ability to handle it..guess it's just up to the buyer to decide if $21 thousand is cheap horsepower...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

brake and suspension upgrades are "recommended" but not required. TT suspension is not really sloppy by any stretch. and the drive system is pretty tough. clutch i can see a need for a change. APR stg 3 i do not recall seeing the need for internals. those extras you are talking about such as boring out im etc... are entriely up to you. everything costs $$ but in terms of comparrison from BT vs bored out k04, you might as well not even bother since you will not get your $$ worth, plus you would need to tune for the added volume.

Granted APR is not the cheapest, but it was for the sake of comparrison, plus the full apr kit gives you EVERYTHING. ****, tip, exh manif. inj., overpircedturbo (hybrid as well, bored out too)SOFTWARE, FPR, Intercooler, etc..

if you buy seperately you MAY save some $$ or you MAY end up spending more $$. only way to find out is keepign all redceipts and doing a total.

Pagparts kits will give you everything needed example (this is for my application) T3S60trim kit (minus turbo and Software)

"Here's a list:
manifold
oil feed line kit
oil return line kit
oil pan adapter
oil return flange kit
3" SS DP to tunnel opening
Inlet piping set
440cc split spray injectors
mounting stud kit
T3 gasket
1490 plus shipping

Arnold L
Pag Parts Inc.
347.561.4802 "

plus the cost of the turbo + software ... for those not sitting on piles of $$, then it makes more sense to buy in parts. labour for all of this is not that much, especially if you do the work yourself. (tradeoff is car has to sit) Arnold will also let you buy the kit in peices, you will just have to sepnd more in shipping thats all. plus he has a lot of other BT kits for the quattros.

but hey thats is my opinion you can do what you want ... bore the hell outa the k04, just dont expect to get your $$ worht. but i could be wrong.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: outinfront

Even if you don't go with a turbo kit..apr stage 3 is 6700 (you pay for the R&D and tuning, there are equal if not better sources for parts) before taxes and installation (another $1750 only if you live in that state, if you do live in Alabama order from a retailer). You're looking at 9 grand right there I like how your making it as expensive as possible. You can get a full gt2871r and bigger kit with tune and everything for $4-5k ..

then you have to get your full exhaust and do your internal engine work-your cam, pistons, minor head work, polishing, seal adjustment...and all this is before you put your new intake manifold on, which requires some polishing and displacement work also. This part kills me. Unless you plan on swapping to a AEB head and running 450-500whp, your not going to need cams. Pistons dont need changed, nor do you need head work for 400hp. The only recommended change is changing the exhaust valves, but not even sure when thats needed. But there are more than a handful of people making 400whp with stock heads, pistons, and intake manifolds. The only change made was rods.

All said and done, you can be pushing around 430 horses and 450 torque all parts and labor for around 15k...THEN, you need the other things to handle that hp..namely your brake upgrade and suspension...another 5-6 grand installed..still not counting a wheel and tire upgrade. So around 20-23k, you can have lots of hp and the ability to handle it..guess it's just up to the buyer to decide if $21 thousand is cheap horsepower... If your paying $4-5k for brakes and suspension + labor, your doing something wrong. Wheel and tire upgrade arnt really a must, more of a fashion thing unless you buy wider and lighter wheels and grippy tires.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm make believe

Dirty, if you want to run a external gate (cost will be about the same as a internal), found the t3 60 w/o the internal gate for $525. Throw in another $200-$230 for the tial 38mm wastegate and your about the same as the internal but with a better and adjustable wastegate.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

ooooh, that i starting to sound tasty ... and way better than boring out a k04... *cough* *cough* those damn cigarettes again holy cr@p. lol

in the next month im buying the turbo since car is parked and no rush, pagparts also will do a internal/external gate manifold at same price .. direct substitute.

Quick Reply: Boring out a KO4