Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Big problem need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Big problem need advice

I have an issue with the shop that I take my car to. I have two parts to the question but I need the first part answered before I can ask the next.

I dropped my car (for a install) off at my shop earlier this week (Monday) because my OSIR carbon fiber rear valence just came in.

I got a phone call yesterday from the shop telling me that the car's immobilizer turned on. This was due to the fact that I gave them a valet key that was just sent to me in the mail (from the seller I purchased the car from about a month ago).

I am wondering what exactly does it mean if the immobilizer is on and how is it activated?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM
5th Gear

immobilizer does just that.

Electronic immobilizer

The immobilizer is an electronic anti-theft device. It is activated when the ignition key is removed and, together with the engine control unit, largely prevents unauthorized starting of the engine. The system uses a transmitter and receiver unit in the ignition key (transponder). Whenever an attempt is made to start the engine, it transmits a new code to the car’s electronics. The immobilizing is only cancelled if the key sends an authorization code. New encryption technology protects the system against electronically copied vehicle keys.

Note:
No system can provide 100% protection against theft. If thieves possess the necessary skill and determination, they may even be able to overcome the electronic immobilizer.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

They told me my immobilizer turned on because the valet key I gave them was not programmed with my car so it started my car and after that my car's immobilizer turned on.

So what I am getting from this is that I gave them a wrong key and when they tried to use it, my immobilizer activated...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

the immobilizer is a chip. You have one in your oem key. They key he gave you prob doesnt have one or isnt programmed.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by myslow1
the immobilizer is a chip. You have one in your oem key. They key he gave you prob doesnt have one or isnt programmed.
so the valet key i got that was not programmed immobilized my car but my other 2 key fobs still work.. whats going on? what does the immobilizer do if my two key fobs still work!?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

bump, i still need more clarification to deal with this shop

Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

I dealt with this same mearlier in the week. I only have a key with no remote because I lost my other one. I called the Audi headquarters and they stepped me through the following process.

Step one: Place the key in the ignition and remove the car from safe mode (IF neccesary

Step 2: Get out of the car and locked it from the outside.

Step 3: Then reinsert the key into the driver's side key hole and turn it fully into the unlocked direction TWICE, which should be towards the front of the car twice.

Step 4: Relock the car with the key from the outside.

Step 5: UNlock door with the key from the outside.

Step 6: Start car

Old 11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

Don't tell me you took the car into a shop to install a valance did you? Its 4 bolts (or screws) to loosen and then just snaps off. Install takes ~15min.

Something similiar happened to me once but in my case nothing would work in the car. I couldn't even open the gas tank with the button. I did similiar steps (probably the exact same) as listed above and everything was fine again. It is some type of reset.