Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

battery relocate

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: battery relocate

Heavy?
Im not ADDING a battery, I'm relocating it and replacing the big huge heavy one with a smaller one in the different place. Im not running HUGE audio stuff.

I dont believe in running anything over 2,000-2,500 watts to the entire audio system.
I used to take my two 12" subwoofers.. power them with 500w a piece... and completely blow away morons boasting their 10,000 watt setups. Common misconception is that more wattage = louder or better. It actually = neither. a JL Audio 12w7 can be power plenty good with 500wrms. You can match that speaker against an Audiobahn 12" subwoofer powered by 3,000wrms and not only will the JL Aduio subwoofer completely demolish the Audiobahn driver in the arena of SPL (Loudness competition) but the audiobahn will be a very sloppy sounding speaker... the owner will be FORCED to buy an Audiobahn or equally shitty amplifier since the companies that produce these ridiculously powered speakers are the only places you can buy an amplifier big enough to power it, the owner will ALSO have to run 2 or more batteries in the car... and probably an extra alternator.

These particular companies feed off of meatheads that think wattage is a measure of audio merit, and the companies just make stuff that puts out or handles more and more and more power without actually increasing any of the output (and actually DECREASING clarity and fidelity) the terminology used to describe how two speakers of the same size with completely different power input would have similar or eveninversely relative sound output is called efficiency. If the JL and the Audiobahnwere poweredup to the same volume in dB (lets say 80dB in this example)... and the JL could do it powered by 500 W @ 3.5volts (volume adjustment)... and the audiobahn required 3,000w @ 3.3v.... The JL Audio would have an obscenely higher efficiency.

So by intentionally creating this huge power facade for all the folks too dumb to undersand how it all really works that just judge a good speaker by how much power it can handle... they are inadvertantly flushing the efficieny rating of their product down the toilet (which completely repels anyone that knows anything about audio)

As you would imagine... most of your super high end speaker companies that you think charge RIDICULOUS prices for a speaker that cant even handle half as much power as the on half its price... most of those companies have VERY high efficiency ratings. This is a big reason why their product is so much more expensive than others. real audiophiles... will pay that extra money... and get a higher priced speaker... with a much lower power requirement... that will put out as much if not MORE sound than the big ole 1,500 watt speaker. In addition to being able to produce that same massive sound with half the power... the products also produce a much CLEANER sound than anything that is made primarily to be "loud".

Honestly... why not pay an extra $100-$200 per speaker... and sit back and watch how much cheaper it is later when youget to buy smaller and fewer amplifiers to power the stuff. (keep in mind that you STILL GET THE SAME OUTPUT, just without having to buy seven of those big 30lb 1,000 watt amplifiers to power all this stuff (oh yea.. and you could go even one step further with your ignorance and instead of buying enough amplifiers with enough power to power all this crap you swear must be the best because it can handle a jiggawatt, you can go and just bridge it all over and over, cutting the sound quality in half each time and doubling your fire risk until you have forced these seven 1,000 watt amplifiers to push out 40,000 @ 0.5 Ohms. Cause it doesnt matter if sound quality is cut to save money on the amplifiers... and its okay to run them at 0.5Ohms so that they begin to glow from overheating after an hour... you need to save money some how. I mean damn... how are you supposed to afford the 40,000 watts worth of amplifiers to push "the best speakers in the world that handle 20,000 watts each")., extra batteries to support all these amplifiers, an extra or upgraded alternator to charge them, and a frigging SUV to house allthis 300-400lbs offire waiting to happen)

So thats where this pertains to me. I guarantee that My Focal Utopia Front and Rear 6½" interior speakers will not only sound better than anything you've ever heard(well they are the leaders in high end SQ drivers) but they have an efficiency rating that allows them to reach volume you will never achieve no matter how many watts you push your cheaper speakers with... oh yea, did I mention that they can hit 135dB without distorting?(only powered to 100w per channel @ 4Ohms [amplifier will never even get warm because i buy an amplifier actually rated at the power Im needing. yea, i pay a little more... but nothng will catch on fire and my sound quality will be exactly as it should be])

Oh yea... I got off on a tangent. Yea nate, although I have a LOT of audio... there is VERY little power going to it and it can and does outperform 90% of the system I encounter that are powered with 3 or 4 times the electricity. Mine is just more expensive because it does all that without all that electr.
Right now, I am only running 750watts on my entire system;8 speakers(capable of 140-145dB).
and since Im using so very little power... my amplifiers are very small and very light.

btw... I still have the pictures of my TT with the JL Audio 12w7 subs in it in my gallery. Now THAT did weight alot. Only because the 2 speakers alone weighed 100 lbs. they didnt need much power though so the rest was light.

I'd be willig to bet that my car is probably AS light or lighter than most since I also dont have a rear seat at all to weight me down... or any of the original bose amps, wiring harnesses etc.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

God!
When I post something about audio... my posts are so hard to follow.
I can never stay on one train of thought. I always branch off onto tangents and side stories and totally lose the reader. I should color code the post so you know what to read and in what order. -sigh-

Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm make believe

Im throwing stuff out and you keep adding stuff [8D]

Old 10-14-2007, 04:18 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, but before i started coming on here... I threw away a ton of stuff. i pulled the rear seat... pulled the trim panels and threw away all unnecessary crap that was back there.... and now Im just now adding things in.

I removed all that stuff before to offset the things I would be adding later (now)

Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

Quit posting when your drinking, you will find you dont ramble on so much!...lol

Old 10-14-2007, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear

lol. I dont drink

Old 10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear

Interesting find.
I just found out yesterday that I havereal good source forOptima Redtop Batteries at my disposal. Literally almost free. I've got Two of them brand new in boxes sitting my car right now.

There's a plant here that manufactures them that some of my friends work at. Many of the ones that dont quite meet spec (upside down label printing, discolored plastic case, scratched or gouged "red top", etc)... (still WAYYY better than most regular batteries) are set aside and sold @ 50% discount locally. Employees get them free though.
(the "defective" ones anyway)