Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Battery Dying While Car is Running

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Default Battery Dying While Car is Running

Hi All

I have a 2002 TT coupe with about 89k miles. Last Wed night my dials starting failing (going to 0 then back to normal) this is just before I got home and thought it was the instrumeny cluster.

The next morning as I was driving to work same thing started happening, then the red battery warning light came on, the the radio stopped working, then the ABS and stability control light comes on. I think maybe it needs a reset (DUMB!) I shut off the car, try to restart it and of course its dead.

I have it towed to an shop I use that specializes in Audi's and VWs. They test the alternator and say its fine, chared the battery start it up and tell me all is fine.

I drive home that night, same sequence as in the morning. One by one systems shut down and warning lights come on. Im sure come tomorrow it'll need a jump.

I dont want to buy a new battery yet just to have it immediately drained.

Any thoughts to what may be causing this?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM

If its not the alternator, its either going to be a short somewhere or the battery !!! If you dont want to change the battery start by pulling fuses "one at a time" and see if your volt guage goes to normal, if theres a short thats the best way to check for shorts in a particular circut. Most likely its the battery, and it just wont hold a charge
"one or more cells is bad" How old is the battery ??? They only last from 5-8 years while operated under normal conditions. Stereo systems and using aux power with the car off shortens their life span, as does heat !!!

Last edited by GHETTOxWHITExBOY; 08-03-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: I type too fast...LOL
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Battery is that old, its an 02 and I had it replaced in 03 or 04.

But thanks again!!! anyone have this happen to them?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
5th Gear

Same symptoms, but it WAS my alternator, or more specifically, the voltage regulator. Only fix I know is alternator replacement in that case.
I'd borrow a newer battery from someone and see if the problem continues.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM

No problem, you can measure the output of the alternator to the battery, the voltage should read around 14.4 volts at idle. Also do a load test on the battery, you can do this by attaching a volt meter to the battery before you start the car, while starting the voltage shouldn't drop below 11 volts at the max. anything less than 11 volts and its the battery for shure !!!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

Pull the battery and take it to AutoZone or Sears, have them load test the battery, that will rule out a bad cell in the battery. If you are showing less than 12.5V at rest (nothing on) across the terminals, the battery doesn't have enough voltage to run the ECU and the cluster.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM

you can load test it yourself with a voltmeter as stated above

Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

you cant load test it yourself, testing voltage wont tell you if its good or bad just the charge it has. Go to autozone they will put it through a good testing and if the car is running you could bring it there to have them test for other things as well

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Thumbs down

^ Don't give out false information if you have no idea what you are talking about !!! I Have a degree in Aviation Science (Graduated top of my class with a 94.1),and I am a Level 1 Field Service Tech. for the leading Industrial electric forklift company in the world. Check out the website ~~~~~> http://www.raymondcorp.com
I deal with industrial size batteries on a daily basis !!! The term load test means you put a load on the battery.......Just like you do everyday when you start your car !!! I dont mean to be a ***** , but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to electricity.

Last edited by GHETTOxWHITExBOY; 08-04-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Im in law school after graduating for my undergrad as a industrial engineer. There is a little more then just running a strait voltage test. here is something i found online that may help a bit

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4221215.html

Quick Reply: Battery Dying While Car is Running