Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

axle removal on a 225?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default axle removal on a 225?

hey guys I have a bad CV boot and I've decided to take my whole front axle to a local performance shop who will rebuild/rework the whole thing for 150$. the question is, I am trying to figure out how to take it off...

I havn't just yet jacked it up or anything to even check but I was wondering if anyone could help with some tips or advice when taking my axle off. I have entry level simple tools and a few jackstands that I used for when I did my OSIR clear corner mod (took of the fender liners and front bumpers)...

I was also wondering, how do you guys feel about the Bentley manuals? I was thinking about buying one (also wondering where I could buy one/download one)...

Thanks for any tips guys!

P.S. I can't for the life of my figure out how to change out my license plate lights. I looked up instructions and it seems that all I need to do is pry at the plastic housing and pull it out but it seems that it/something on it will definitely brake if I apply any more pressure/leverage.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm make believe

you will need to pick up some semi special tools from the parts store, list and install with pics here http://www.raxles.com/volkswagen_mk4...tallation.aspx

You can find out how to just about anything on these forums, i havent yet found the need for one until i decide to completely build a head/motor for myself.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
5th Gear

Its nice to have a bentley CD handy for torque specs, or finding some oddball part name so you dont have to deal with the idiot at the dealership for 20 minutes. 5 minutes talking to those guys is about 5 too many. Tons of exploded view diagrams are handy too

Believe you can pick them up at TTStuff.com, or ross-tech at a small discount if you buy a vag-com cable, or you could go right to bentleypublishers.com pay for the license and download the program.

Oh speaking of license...
plate lights slide toward each other, and then get pried down. Mine really have no interest in moving since grit/sand from winter driving have worked their way in around the lights, crudding up the slides. If they really stick, expect to be replacing them, guessing you'll break them before they break loose.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

achttung... muchos gracias senor! i figured out the license plate light... but mine slid outwards (so the left light went to the left tail light and vice versa)... but still i feel very stupid for sitting there and trying to pry at those housings....

Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 PM
5th Gear

heh, maybe i was prying the wrong way...

now I gotta try again based on your info.