Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi TT225 WTF....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008 | 12:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Audi TT225 WTF....

Did yours do this in cold weather. Mine would only do it while idling for sometime and not moving during the hot summer months only not the colder months. There is nothing wrong with the fans because they will kick in moving the needle SLOWLY to the colder side. It is not the waterpump...it has been replaced with a new metal impeller one. Cold months my car sits one tick below the half mark and will go up to 12:00 after spirited drives or long drives/freeway traffic jams. After 4 hr long trips the car will not go above 12:00...I say in these circumstances this is normal behaviour. I would agree if the car did this ALL the time you have a problem. My eclipse would do the same thing during the summer. Of course your temps will go up idling with no airflow to the radiator besides a small fan.

Old 04-17-2008 | 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Mobius97

Did yours do this in cold weather. Mine would only do it while idling for sometime and not moving during the hot summer months only not the colder months. There is nothing wrong with the fans because they will kick in moving the needle SLOWLY to the colder side. It is not the waterpump...it has been replaced with a new metal impeller one. Cold months my car sits one tick below the half mark and will go up to 12:00 after spirited drives or long drives/freeway traffic jams. After 4 hr long trips the car will not go above 12:00...I say in these circumstances this is normal behaviour. I would agree if the car did this ALL the time you have a problem. My eclipse would do the same thing during the summer. Of course your temps will go up idling with no airflow to the radiator besides a small fan.
Nah, yours sounds normal. I can make mine start to go up but never hit the 1 tick above. It will go up on a hot day, driving hard, no AC on, and idling for more than a minute or so. Before my head was replaced mine used to climb to the 1 tick above mark any time I would hit a stop light.

Old 04-19-2008 | 02:57 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Mobius97

ORIGINAL: achTTung

temp gauge should be at 12 o'clock pretty much all the time once the car is warmed up. The thermostat that comes with the dieselgeek kit at least.. isn't quite the quality I'd like, it takes a bit longer to adjust than the ones that come in the car. (can't remember who makes what).
I completely disagree. I have read on numerous posts of different owners who's temp guage acts this way. They consistently state that the gauge will go to the next tick past halfway when waiting at a light for sometime or idling for a small bit. I do not have this trouble in the colder months but the one summer since I have had the car this was the normal behaviour. It would always go back down when I started moving and getting airflow to the radiator again. I am only speaking in reference to the stock thermostat.
Mobius... you're half right. Numerous people on different forums DO have cars that do this... its a common problem, but its IS a problem. My car did this CONSTANTLY for the longest time... and eventually got worse. Flush and reservice the Coolant system and swap the timing belt/water pump if it hasn't been swapped already. Also, coolant sensors can cause it (so ive heard) but that wasnt what fixed mine.

Mine was so bad that it would overheat (at least one tick past center)everytime I idled the car after highway driving.

Just because alot of TT's have the problem... doesn't mean it's normal. I fixed mine and it hasn't done that in almost a year. (and no, not because its winter. I had it fixed in July)

I'd try flushing the old coolant out and reservicing first. Then obviously change the Timing Belt/Water Pump if you havent already

Old 04-19-2008 | 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

Done, done and done. All my maintenance is well taken care of and my car is in great running condition with 62k on the dial. Unlike how yours was acting mine does not do that constantly and it's behaviour seems normal.This moving past 12:00 is not a common occurence for me but it has happened and my fans kick in and that helps take the temps back down. As soon as I am up and moving the needle moves back to 12 very quickly. I havehad mine climb but never actually get quite to that next tick.As I stated before if your car does this ALL the time you may have an issue. I noticed mine doing this in the summerafter a 45min commute home in traffic then getting stuck idling for 5-10mins, trying to get through a light. Other than a circumstance like that it doesn't happen.

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:25 AM
|
1st Gear

Well guys the deal has had my car for a few days so im just wait to hear from them. Man this sucks i just want to boost

Old 04-21-2008 | 04:24 AM
2nd Gear

I hear heroin is almost as addicting as boost[:-]