Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi TT225 WTF....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:15 PM
|
1st Gear
Default Audi TT225 WTF....

Ok guy here it is this is my first audi. I bought an audi tt225 2001 about 2 weeks ago form my local dealer. Im normal a vw guy and this is my first trip down the audi runway. I have had so many issue with this car sence i bought it. And i have spent hours on the internet researching and have just decioed to get call a newb and ask.

1 - My temp gaguge when i stop and it is warmer than 65 degrees out goes form the center mark to the next line where is sits till i start moving again. The deal has replaced the cencer i had a black now i have a green one did nto fix it.

2 - No matter what my CEL comes on for a secondary air inject system pump or something the dela has test and it pass all the test but sure enough after a day the CEL come back on.

3 - The worst of all after any highway driving when i get off the high way my car has limited or no boost. Im guessing it is soft limp mood but there is never a CEL for it. The only way have been about to get the car to boost again is to disconect the negative battercable for a little while and plug it back in.

Please help me guys i realy love this car and would be so happy to drive it if i can just get the bugs worked out of it and start upgrading it.

Thanks in advance,
David

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:20 PM
Default RE: Audi TT225 WTF....

Take that back to the dealer tell him he sold you a lemon and have him fix it.

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:20 PM
5th Gear

Most likely the thermostat thats making the temp gauge climb. How many miles on the car? 60K is the cutoff before you start playing russian roulette with your timing belt, and the water pump is probably on its way out as well. (the plastic impellers crack).

Can't really say on the secondary air, the exact code would be helpful.

Limp can come on for a bunch of reasons, but you'll probably see a code for everything. Are you checking for a code when you notice its underpowered? Don't shut the car off, some funky stuff is hard to track if you shut the car off and give it a chance to reset itself.

Old 04-16-2008 | 07:16 PM
|
1st Gear

Well the car only have 31000 miles on it. And after i tune the car off it still in limp mode and does not boost only after i disconnect the battery doe sit boost agian. Maybe the n75 going bad the service records show the DV was replaced not to long ago. I would say becasue i ca get my boost back by disconnecting my battery that is is an electrical issue but im not sure becasue there is no CEL just no boost. The only CEL that ever comes up is for the secondary air pump injection system which im pretty sure is just for emissions. Can a bad o2 cencer cause the CEl and the car to go into limp mood after doing some high way driving

Old 04-16-2008 | 07:43 PM
2nd Gear

Sitting still and having the temp climb to that mark is actually quite common. This alarmed me as well when I first got the car. While sitting at long lights I could see the temps climb. It only happens to me in 70+ weather. Usually I am at the tick mark before the half. After a spirited drive it sticks around the half way mark. It does sound like you are hitting limp....

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:27 PM
3rd Gear

You're gonna get screwed hard.
You're being too nice to the dealer.

If they can't fix it, tell them you DO NOT want the car.
The more chances you give them and the longer you wait the harder it will be for you.

Tell the dealer to eat it.

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:28 PM
3rd Gear

About the Limp... maybe some uneducated fool tried to diode mod your 225.

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:30 PM
5th Gear

temp gauge should be at 12 o'clock pretty much all the time once the car is warmed up. The thermostat that comes with the dieselgeek kit at least.. isn't quite the quality I'd like, it takes a bit longer to adjust than the ones that come in the car. (can't remember who makes what).

Old 04-16-2008 | 11:29 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: achTTung

temp gauge should be at 12 o'clock pretty much all the time once the car is warmed up. The thermostat that comes with the dieselgeek kit at least.. isn't quite the quality I'd like, it takes a bit longer to adjust than the ones that come in the car. (can't remember who makes what).
I completely disagree. I have read on numerous posts of different owners who's temp guage acts this way. They consistently state that the gauge will go to the next tick past halfway when waiting at a light for sometime or idling for a small bit. I do not have this trouble in the colder months but the one summer since I have had the car this was the normal behaviour. It would always go back down when I started moving and getting airflow to the radiator again. I am only speaking in reference to the stock thermostat.

Old 04-17-2008 | 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: achTTung

What do you mean by adjust? The thermostat reads a tempurature, there is no adjustment. It should take a good 3-5 minutes for the car to warm up depending on outside temp and if you "warm-up" properly. Proper warm-up is starting your car, and immediately driving it under boost until you hit 12 o-clock. You shouldn't let your car idle for long periods of time anywhere, especially at warmup. But you are right, that needle should be at 12 oclock all the time once warmed up.

ORIGINAL: Mobius97
I completely disagree. I have read on numerous posts of different owners who's temp guage acts this way. They consistently state that the gauge will go to the next tick past halfway when waiting at a light for sometime or idling for a small bit. I do not have this trouble in the colder months but the one summer since I have had the car this was the normal behaviour. It would always go back down when I started moving and getting airflow to the radiator again. I am only speaking in reference to the stock thermostat.
Yep, this will happen, but for the most part it should stick at 12 o'clock. If you run the car hard and idle for a bit and it does this, fine. But if it is consistently doing this, then something isnt right. Might even be crappy or contaminated coolant and time for a flush, or broken water pump impeller blades, or faulty fan switch etc etc (its an Audi, the list goes on forever!). My older tt used to do this consistently and I thought it was normal, but after taking the car to champion motorsports, they told me it was not normal in any way, and finally found out it was a slight warp in the head causing it. No blown head gasket or anything, and they only found out by taking the head off and carefully measuring everything before finding out. There was no visual way of telling! Car hasnt budged above 12 oclock since!

Quick Reply: Audi TT225 WTF....