Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi Tech Question: Reprograming mileage after cluster replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Default Audi Tech Question: Reprograming mileage after cluster replacement.

Hey guys

long story short my TT's cluster failed in 2004, I had a lousy mechanic try to fix it with a used part from a 225 tt (mine is a 2000 180q) My car had 60k kms on it when the cluster died, the used cluster had about 90,k kms on it. So years later when the class action lawsuit happened I got a brand new cluster for free from Audi. But the mileage is has been transfered over (from the used cluster) so I have about 30,000 more KMs than I should have. Initially the audi tech told me they could pull the "real" Mileage off the ECU, but now they say they might need the original cluster that was replaced 4 years ago for some reason! That piece is long gone.
They hoed and hummed at the dealership about it and said they will call me back if they can come up with solution. So basically I have a brand new functioning cluster with way more mileage then it should have, I am at a loss for the vehicle's value when I sell it. Do any techs out there have any advice?

it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jamt; 08-16-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
4th Gear

idk man, if you cant get it off the ecu then i think your pretty much SOL

Old 08-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Bump! there must be someway?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

I worked for VW and AUDI. Once the mileage is programmed into the cluster, there is no going back period. The cluster is yours or scrap. I hate to tell ya, but thats it. AND it can only be programmed when brand new by and AUDI dealer, vagcom cannot do it. Sorry man.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM

Then why did the audi tech tell he could pull it back? was he confused?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 PM
5th Gear

You have approx. 50 miles on a brand new cluster to change the odometer, after that its locked in for good. I went thru a bunch of hassle when I first got my TT, almost went over that limit with all the run around the non-Audi dealership was giving me. Had to swap the old (bad) cluster back in to save the new one from locking wile I drove another 40 miles.

Just because an Audi tech told you he could do it, doesn't mean it can actually happen, keep that in mind for future encounters as well.

Example: I had a tech tell me I could change the pass code on the radio for 'safe mode' function. Very much not the case. Thats set at the factory, and thats it.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

I have heard that VAGTool (NOT VAGCOM) can do this, but it is usually not discussed on forums as you can set your odometer back. That's all I know about it, so don't ask me for more info.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 PM
4th Gear

wouldnt it be pointless though to make it possible to set back the odo? because for all we know someone has a tt with 40k on the clock but really 100k...

Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 AM
1st Gear

I wonder if our newer Audis have this. Its called EDC-15, its found with vag-com. it gives you a calculated amount of actual miles traveled, directly on the ECU. Only thing is that from what I read its only on TDI's. Just scroll down the page half way or "ctrl+F" EDC-15
click me

Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MCPaudiTT
I have heard that VAGTool (NOT VAGCOM) can do this, but it is usually not discussed on forums as you can set your odometer back. That's all I know about it, so don't ask me for more info.

Looking at the right block/adaption value, it appears you can set the odometer with vagcom, but it won't 'take', or at least out side that initial window.

Seem to remember reading something somewhere about setting your own, but not much info, and not exactly smart, since if you screw up, its permanent.

I'd have to guess VAGTool would be the same, but its not something I've played with.

Quick Reply: Audi Tech Question: Reprograming mileage after cluster replacement.