Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

APR FMIC Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default APR FMIC Install

I am installing my APR FMIC for a 180 TT FWD and the instructions from APR SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. has anyone else installed an APR FMIC on a 180 TT? Im not even sure wher ethey want the FMIC installed too with the instructions they gave.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: APR FMIC Install

did you talk to apr?? the 225hp install instructions seem pretty straight foward. idk about the 180 though. you got the one that looks like a C i mean the piping looks like a "C" both top and bottom ends are on one side. what exactly are you having trouble with?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear

Yes I have the C style but the biggest part is I dont know where exactly to mount the intercooler. From there I can figure out the piping I guess but I want to make sure I place the intercooler in the proper place and their instructions and pics are crap. I guess I will try and call tomorrow or when ever they come to work.

And man I cant beleive how small the oem intercooler was. It might as well not even been there its so small. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

yeeeah the 180s intercooler are tiny. thats why i cant believe renn art didnt just put one on for the safty of the turbo and engine. anyway good luck with the install.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

well I have the FMIC installed and it looks like everything is in its proper place. But when I put the bumber up to see if I could tell if it would go back on OK it looks like the new intercooler pipes will be in the way of the headlight water squirter thing. I might have to take that out but I will see if I can squeeze everything in. I am going to put the wheels back on and test it out before I put the bumper back on just to make sure it works right. Im also going to run feed lines from my TTDA to the lower front grills to get some forced intake. I hope this really helps.

So a couple of questions, will I see better acceleration as soon as I step on the gas? And will I see better power throughout the rpms?

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 AM
3rd Gear

they say you'll have to remove the "aliens" the headlight washers. but yeah thats what i plan on doing as well .(feeding the ttda lines to the lower grills or maybe where the aliens come out. so hows it look?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear

well it looks good I just hope I have it in the right position so it wont hit the bumber. I just hope it gives me better acceleration when I hit the gas and Im hopeing for about 20 more HP (sound right for a 180 getting a fmic?). Ive heard that it should give me better response when I hit the gas too, so Im hoping. With the new turbo I should be around 240 250 whp and I was probably at 215 or so before the FMIC. So Im waiting till tomorrow to test drive it, it will just look ugly for awhile before I put the bumber back on. Do you think forced induction will help the TTDA compared to it just having tubes to open areas? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:23 AM
2nd Gear

Oh if I remove the aliens will that leave an open area where they were?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 AM
3rd Gear

yeah if you remove the whole piece. i thought about feeding one or two line(from ttda) there and one behind the lower grill

Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

well the fmic is about 2 inches too low so the bumber wont fit back on. The brackets that came with the fmic look like they can only go one way and thats to the metal inner bumber and of course its too low. So I guess I will have to get more brackets to try and raise the fmic a couple of inches. I really dont like the way APR is selling this fmic for my model, it's like they never tried it on the 180 TT fwd or something. The instructions didnt say one word about where exactly to use the mounts and now it looks like the mounts arent really made for my model. I tell you nothing is as easy as it should be. But it does work good. I drove the car hard for about 20 mins getting up to 90 mph and at full boost and when I stopped and felt the intake and exit piping to the fmic there was a big difference in the temp. The exit pipe was actually pretty cool. So I am happy about that.

Quick Reply: APR FMIC Install