Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Anyone done their own Dynamat install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone done their own Dynamat install?

Curious how much is involved and what level of payback is there. I saw one link on a guy who had it done for $500, sounded happy about it. I'm thinking of starting at the trunk and under the rear seats. Then maybe moving on to the doors and under the front seats.

Don't get me wrong..I like the TT sound, but not always that much of the road noise. BTW,my tires are a pretty soft compound so they are not a likely noise source.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
cmh
Default RE: Anyone done their own Dynamat install?

I have used Dynamat in various applications in my past vehicles, mostly to improve speaker/stereo performance by deadening the body panels by adding mass and reducing vibration. To install you peel and stick and then heat with a hairdryer/heatgun while pressing it to the contours of the car. If you are trying to reduce road, engine and exhaust noise you would essentially strip the whole interior and cover the floor and firewall with the dynamat- it's alot of work and expense, plus added weight. They also make a product with lead/neoprene for sound deadening that is not sticky, just forms to the contours. IMHO it is not worth the gain to do the entire car b/c of the work and cost involved I don't think $500 would get you enough material to do the full wrap including the doors/sidepanels

Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone done their own Dynamat install?

If you're going to do it I'd start with the doors; the consensus seems to be that's a major source of noise, along with wheel wells. There are door kits you can buy specifically for that purpose that aren't too expensive. I took a seat out recently and found the TT carpet underlayment is quite thick so you probably wouldn't get as much benefit there.