Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Any mechanics around?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Any mechanics around?

So I was quoted 22 hours at 90 bucks an hour to install the following:

Turbo(10 hours)
Coilovers(5 hours with alignment)
Snow Performance Water/Meth(5 hours)
Dogbone Mounts/Boost Gauge/FPR/Injectors(2 hours)

So I'd be looking at 2000 bucks to install that. Sounds a little high to me. What do you guys think?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Any mechanics around?

dogbone = 15mins
boost gauge = 30mins
fpr = 5mins
never done injectors.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
3rd Gear

Is that at a dealer?

Find an independent shop for cheaper hourly, and more realistic time charges.

Better yet, do everything except the alignment yourself, and put the money towards tools so you can do it free next time.

No better time to learn than when you have a $2000 worth of motivation staring at you.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: RedTTQ

Turbo(10 hours) Done in less than 4-5hrs
Coilovers(5 hours with alignment) Havent done it but probably 3-4hrs and then $60-80 for alignment
Snow Performance Water/Meth(5 hours) Sure its less.
Dogbone Mounts/Boost Gauge/FPR/Injectors(2 hours) All in all thats about right, but anyone can do those.

If you want help, i and the forum can help you. All but the coilovers are a easy job. Those are doable, but i wouldnt mess w/ suspension if your not sure what your doing

Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

I found the coilovers a pretty easy job to do, you can do them with your basic set of tools plus a pry bar and spring compressor(can be rented at autozone) and air tools make it a lot easier also. ans yeah 3-4 hours is about what it took me(working by myself and have never done coilovers before)

and btw, most of us here can be considered mechanics

Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

Turbo(10 hours) Done in less than 4-5hrs
Coilovers(5 hours with alignment) Havent done it but probably 3-4hrs and then $60-80 for alignment
Snow Performance Water/Meth(5 hours) Sure its less.
Dogbone Mounts/Boost Gauge/FPR/Injectors(2 hours) All in all thats about right, but anyone can do those.

If you want help, i and the forum can help you. All but the coilovers are a easy job. Those are doable, but i wouldnt mess w/ suspension if your not sure what your doing

I suppose I could go buy some jackstands and do this at my dads this weekend. I'm not very experienced though. Will I need special tools?

I just called my friend who works at a place that does suspension and he's gonna get them installed for me at a slightly discounted rate at 65 an hour for 4 hours. Saves me 190 bucks.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear

I would suggest you buy an impact wrench, as I found lots of stuck bolts on my tt. Otherwise, the basic sockets, torque wrench, slide hammer, hex and torx sockets, ect would be ideal (but you could prob make do with less).

Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm make believe

I suppose I could go buy some jackstands and do this at my dads this weekend. I'm not very experienced though. Will I need special tools?
Only the coilovers require special tools. Everything else can be done with handtools. The turbo, dogbone, boost gauge, and injectors (not sure why you need those) will be easy. The w/m kit willbe a little more challenging

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

Only the coilovers require special tools. Everything else can be done with handtools. The turbo, dogbone, boost gauge, and injectors (not sure why you need those) will be easy. The w/m kit willbe a little more challenging
Well I have some experience with wiring so I should be okay with the water/meth kit. I'm gonna give this a go. My dad knows his way around cars and we're both reasonably intelligent so I should be good.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

Good luck. Don't break anything like me. Use should get your hands on a bently Factory repair manual to help you along.

Quick Reply: Any mechanics around?