Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

42DD Pipe on the way........

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: 42DD Pipe on the way........

^ lemme see that DIY. my DP is being custom fab'd soon. i would also like to deplete the ozone layer and run a test pipe.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

Its kinda rough, was my first attempt at a DIY... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3291772

Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

nice ellite i thought about the power saw myself. heard its tons easier that way...the 3in is massive compared to the tiny stock and then the two little *** cats....race series for me 2 when i get the funds. is that the angle block form Wayne on audiworld.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

btw whats the deal with all that smoke after you installed it? just working all the junk off the new dp?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

Yeh its wayne's piece... all that smoke isfrom theexcessive amount of PB blaster I had to use on the bolts that connect the DP to the turbo, it burns up shortly

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear

did you have to drop the subframe at all? if you would post some words with those photos it would help....lol i know how to do the install but some say its a must to drop the subframe .(PITA)

Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

didn't even touch it... sorry about the lack of words, I'm a visual person

Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: gravitt

Personally, I don't think there's a point to see dyno plots for catback exhausts and/or intake mods-- there isn't much gain (numbers-wise). What you will determine is better throttle response and feel as well as sound. Either way, you know it will help your car. The downpipe, in addition to throttle feel and sound, will measurably boost your cars hp and torque.
No disrepect....but why not? I can understand an intake.....but for a catback? In my experience there seems to be a good amount of power to be had in a proper setup. I myself would like to see the gains of a free flowing exhaust systemand what is better from tuner to tuner. Am I talking adding 30bhp no.....but for the 10whp it may be worth it to ME. The gains may not be those of a chip but there is a some power to be had outof a catback. I believe with the proper catback mated to the proper downpipe, itcan net some fantastic gains.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mobius97
No disrepect....but why not? I can understand an intake.....but for a catback? In my experience there seems to be a good amount of power to be had in a proper setup. I myself would like to see the gains of a free flowing exhaust systemand what is better from tuner to tuner. Am I talking adding 30bhp no.....but for the 10whp it may be worth it to ME. The gains may not be those of a chip but there is a some power to be had outof a catback. I believe with the proper catback mated to the proper downpipe, itcan net some fantastic gains.
My thoughts are that a turbo-back setup (with high flow cats or a test pipe for even better gains) will give really measurable gains on a dyno, if you're into that kind of thing. A cat-back alone, believe it or not (even mated with an aftermarket intake), will make somewhat of a difference on a dyno but the numbers will be underwhelming. Pure measurable WHP, short of a big turbo upgrade, will be found with a chip and a downpipe (mated to a equally high-flowing cat-back). A lot of other mods, such as Modshack's ****, an aftermarket intake, EvoHeatShield phenolic IM spacer, etc. will really make the far feel better (throttle-feel) and sound better, but will hard to quantify on a dyno. That goes without saying, any cooling mods (such as a FMIC and DV relo), especially paired with high-flow mods such as an upgraded intake manifold or the Samco turbo inlet hose, will bring improvement to the car-- but again, will be hard to quantify on a dyno.

All I'm saying is-- what's more important to you, your max WHP off a dyno chart or how your car feels and how your car has improved over stock??

Old 08-04-2007, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

what's more important to you, your max WHP off a dyno chart or how your car feels and how your car has improved over stock??

Both.
I am not new to cars, just new to this german scene and I agree with what you are saying. My question was pretty simple. I am looking for informationon different catback testing for the TT so that I can make an informed decision. If available yes,I want to see a dyno chart of before and after so I can see if any power has been gained and if one system offers better performance than another (I'm not talking plots from the manufactures but indies).I think we all understand that we will not get the "feel" unlesswe drive it ourselves.I will spend the time to research out modifications and ask questions of people that use these parts and get their opinions be it gripes or kudos. Just the way I am......I'm a little methodical (stems from being a communications network engineer). I have so far on the 225...Revo chip, intake, Forge TIP, Forge Splitter, Halman MBC, 3" DP on the way, "looking for a good catback", and coilovers going on in the few weeks. I have had the car for 7 months and looking to build it up quickly as my funds allow.
.....and Gravitt thanks foryour input!

Here are some pics of my last project....

and this is when the fun began......................

Quick Reply: 42DD Pipe on the way........