Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2010 TTS, Squealing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM
1st Gear
Default 2010 TTS, Squealing Brakes

I bought a used TTS with roughly 22,000 miles on it 2 weeks ago. After 3 days of driving I noticed the front brakes were making a squealing noise. I brought it to Audi, they took it for a test drive, didn't hear it. They advised there was a technical bulletin out and that I could bring it back and that they'd sand the brakes/rotors. I brought it back in, they did this over 3-4 hours and it made no squealing when I drove away. However, now it is doing it again.

It does it intermittently during light braking. No sound during hard braking. I thought there was a pattern that maybe it'd do it after it rains when there is moisture build up but that wasn't the case. It seems to do it during dry or rainy weather.

The dealership has advised they are going to contact Audi and get back to me.

Has anybody experienced this problem or have any suggestions?

Would turning the rotors offer any help?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm make believe

They just turned them from what you said. It's usually a simple copper grease or no squeak spray on the back of the pads that fix the problem. Done it on every brake job I have done and never got a sound from them. With such a new car, the brakes should be easy to take apart so may e an hours work with just simple hand tools.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Cincy.

I wasn't sure if that's what it meant or not. The work order didn't have much detail on it. It just said brake service and road test.

Would putting copper grease or no squeak spray be something they should be commonly doing on a job like that anyways?

Outside tire rotations and oil changes I've never worked on cars, so I wouldn't be comfortable doing this myself. I'll inquire with them Monday and see if that was done.

Now that I think of it, when I spoke to somebody in service as well, I believe they mentioned there is some sort of metallic substance on the brakes that might be causing this. Would that be copper grease they would be talking about? Would this we something that wears off after driving for a little while?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm make believe

It should be done, but doesnt have to be. Also it shouldn't wear off. If you pull the wheels off you should be able to see if there is something on the outer brake pad or not. That is if the TTS doesn't have a multiple piston caliper up front.

Its doubtful, but it could be a higher temp pad that makes noise when there is no heat in them.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

I spoke to somebody in service today and they advised they are still in talks with an rep for headoffice on what to do about my squealing brakes. I did clarify with them and they did not turn the rotors. They said they don't even have the equipment to do it. Should I be looking into bringing them somewhere else to have it done?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

When I asked about turning the rotors they said the next step for them would be to do a running out test on the rotors...should I really be looking into getting them turned?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm make believe

Any machine shop and even sone parts stores will turn them. I would just forget about Audi and have them turned if there are grooves in the rotors. If not, hit he backs with some brake quiet or copper grease.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

brake quiet will usually quiet them my back pads squeak sometimes, they could jst be a bad batch of pads and metallic / semi metallic pads squeak sometimes no matter wht u do, dont let them talk u into buying new rotors / pads unless u rly need them

Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Maybe it's just natural. When I bought my TT I had the same problem of squeaking. They usually did that everynow and then depending on the climate. As far as turning them, I didn't think you could do that with these rotors. I've talked to several mechanics about the rotors and they all say "once they go you have to buy new ones." Their reason was that the way they are made unlike a typical brake rotor where you can turn them. If anything take the caliper and brake pads out and spray them with brake cleaner.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the responses all. I was recently at an Audi service location and one of the mechanics advised they just don't turn rotors. They don't even have the resources to do it. He said they find it can cause them to over heat and can even warp them when they get too thin.

I've talked to other people with the exact same symptoms on different cars who have turned the rotors and the problem has been solved. Think I should take it somewhere and have it done anyways?

Quick Reply: 2010 TTS, Squealing Brakes