Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2001 TT Quattro - Clutch won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 TT Quattro - Clutch won't disengage

I know enough about cars to have a conversation about general issues but absolutely nothing about a manual transmission, which is why I'm asking here before I take the car for somebody to look at it. I'd like to be armed with at least a little info so some guy at a shop doesn't try to take advantage of me. Very simply, the clutch won't disengage. Doesn't make any noises, wasn't making any noises before it happened. Any feedback before I take it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by TracyLynnT; 01-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm make believe

Most likely the master cylinder is dead or leaked and there is no pressure. This will keep you peddle at the floor.

Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP > Drivetrain > Clutch > ES#2009 Clutch Master Cylinder - 1J1721388A

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Found out today as I was getting my Quattro inspected that it is a common problem for the gear selector arms (which apparently are only held in place by rivets) tend to wear out and cause you to either tear down the entire transmission or just replace it all together. Fun stuff. I could be wrong as I just learned about this today and haven't had time to really research it much but I'd say if I were able to look at a schematic, it would make more sense. This problem is more of a shifting problem though. As far as a clutch not disengaging, my first area to trouble shoot would be Master/slave cylinder, etc. Still new to a Quattro though.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Most likely the master cylinder is dead or leaked and there is no pressure. This will keep you peddle at the floor.

Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP > Drivetrain > Clutch > ES#2009 Clutch Master Cylinder - 1J1721388A
Or if you peddle I'd fine, the slave cylinder. This is part of the throwout bearing on the TT so it's changed with a clutch job anyways.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Cincy beat me to it!! Hahaha.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by hunTTsvegas
Found out today as I was getting my Quattro inspected that it is a common problem for the gear selector arms (which apparently are only held in place by rivets) tend to wear out and cause you to either tear down the entire transmission or just replace it all together. Fun stuff. I could be wrong as I just learned about this today and haven't had time to really research it much but I'd say if I were able to look at a schematic, it would make more sense. This problem is more of a shifting problem though. As far as a clutch not disengaging, my first area to trouble shoot would be Master/slave cylinder, etc. Still new to a Quattro though.
This could also be true. If the linkage is bad or blocked you can't change gears

Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

this may not be relevant but when i first got my tt, 1st and 2nd were alway had a rough syncro mashing sound, until one day 1st and 2nd disappeared, then reverse. they would shift into the slot but the tranny wouldnt recognize. driving in 3rd gear for a week(needed to get around) if i hard accelerated the flywheel would just let off and rpms would fly.

In the end, i ended up replacing my transmission, but the mechanic told me my original tranny seemed fine and would shift into all gears, but the bracket that turned the gears right above the tranny was stripped, so when shifting to 1st or 2nd or R the bracket actually would move but the teeth wouldnt move the gear selector on the tranny.

ill also note i had a code: FHB 180hp quattro, transmission, while I should of had and replaced it with a DQB 225hp quattro transmission.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info! Sorry I'm not a car person. The pedal is not stuck, but when you push it in it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, it doesn't doesn't disengage the transmission. I described it to a friend that it doesn't "go neutral" (like if you were driving and pushed in the clutch going down a hill it would coast without pulling forward). If I push the clutch pedal in and start the car it acts like it's in gear & jumps like it would if you let the clutch out while sitting still in gear.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear

Master / slave cylinder is the most likely culprit.