Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2001 Audi TT Quattro 180 Clutch Job - attempt it or take it to the shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi TT Quattro 180 Clutch Job - attempt it or take it to the shop?

I'm debating on attempting my clutch job for my 2001 TTQC 180. I've never done a clutch job before, but I'm willing to try it, providing its not something totally beyond me. I did the timing belt job on this car and while it was difficult with the tight working space, it was doable. Would you consider the clutch job to be comparable in difficulty?

Of all of the writeups I've been digging up in the forum search, which one is the best to go off of - or is there a better one on someone's fotki or another site?

Also, I'm planning on using this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=390154555912

Will that work and is it a good price, or is there a better price elsewhere? I really want to use a stock kit, because this is my DD, not a track car, and I sit in rush hour city traffic pretty often.

Right now, my symptoms are:
I start to slip under heavy boost and it tends to slip more in higher gears. I can still run next to full boost in lower gears without slipping.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm make believe

I just bought a kit from them for my A4. Good price and fast shipping. Its the proper kit. You need to do the change now before you damage the flywheel and need to replace that also (~$700 for stock, less for aftermarket but need a proper parts to fit it). I have never done it before either and just finished it on my A4 which is much harder due to it being longitude and a V6 (exhaust in the way x2). But its actually not that hard, just time consuming. If you can do a TB change, you can do this. Just find a DIY with good pics (the MKIV and R32 forum on vwvortex.com is a good place to look) and you are fine. Only thing you may need that is special is a triple square tool. I got one at Advanced for about $8 for a 6,8,10, and 12mm.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

how long did the job take you?

also, how would i know if my flywheel is bad?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

also, that link i posted should b the correct clutch for my 180qc TT 5 speed right?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm make believe

It took me about 13 hours with help. Had to make a couple trips to the parts store for parts and there are 2 bolts that are not accessible without some creativity. The TT will be a bit easier.

If the fw has hotspots or deep scratches, it needs replaced or at min, resurfaced if you can find a shop that can/will do that.

All TTq use the same clutch and fw

Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

You're gonna want some help removing the tranny and transfercase. And yes, it was a pig to do. I took it to a friends shop (Unrestriced Performance in Exeter RI) and it was not fun. My flywheel does make contact with the housing, so occasionally at idle you'll hear the wheel ratchet against the housing (Unless clutch is disengaged). It's minimal contact and is pretty grinded off but it's still kind of embarassing... I personally do not recommend ClutchMasters as they were not pleasant to work with either.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jchurch90
You're gonna want some help removing the tranny and transfercase. And yes, it was a pig to do. I took it to a friends shop (Unrestriced Performance in Exeter RI) and it was not fun. My flywheel does make contact with the housing, so occasionally at idle you'll hear the wheel ratchet against the housing (Unless clutch is disengaged). It's minimal contact and is pretty grinded off but it's still kind of embarassing... I personally do not recommend ClutchMasters as they were not pleasant to work with either.
The tranny and tcase have to completely come out to change out the clutch?

Okay, so I ordered my new clutch, but today I'm having a new issue - I am getting some strange rattle when the clutch is pushed in all the way. The sound goes as I release the clutch to let it either engage a gear, or remain is neutral.

When I was parked today with the front of the car downhill on a slope, I had incredible difficulty getting the car to go into any gear. I rev'd the engine and then i pushed it into First gear and with some difficulty, it went in and it seemed ok after that.

Is it even my clutch that is bad, or could this be the shift forks or something?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

I used this DIY
vwvortex
I took everything off myself but to put it back i needed help and i had only 1 floor jack which is not meant for transmissions. I'd say putting trany back in was the hardest part about it, but all wrench turning was a piece of cake. It took me 2 days but i did slowly and thanks God i didn't mess/break anything.
I found a local machine shop who took care of my flywheel for $40. did a great job. 3000 miles on it now and is like new.