Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2000 Audi TT 225bhp - Need some insight please :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy 2000 Audi TT 225bhp - Need some insight please :(

Hi all,

I finally took the leap and bought a 2000 Audi TT 225 last week in a private sale and it seems that so far the experience has left me crumbling inside when I know only too well i should be enjoying the ride.

I bought the car from a seller that told me about a little curbing on the alloys and the fact that i might need to have the head unit looked at with an error reader but he assured me that the car was working better than it should be and presented me with an MOT certificate that showed me no advisories or anything from just a month prior.

Since paying and taking the car home, i have driven it for about 3 hours (this sale was completed 8 days ago) and since then the car has been parked at the side of the road outside my house because of issues with the car.

While driving to work the car seemed to completely fine but about 800 yards further down the road the temperature shot up which was instantly followed by a loss of power.

The car struggled in second gear at 20mph and after dropping into first gear, the car completely stalled in the middle of the traffic.

I managed to start the car and pull it off the main road but at a reduced rate of power and as soon as i jumped out of the car on the side road i could hear the sound of bubbling and could sell a burning smell.

Looking under car, the catalytic converter (dual pipe) was bright orange with heat and there was heat coming from under the car.

I was forced to leave the car to seek an alternative way to work and managed to return to the car a number of hours later and got the car home but again at very little power.

I have since had the car plugged in and the car showed 10 errors on the car, apparently they could be caused by an issue with the catalytic converter and the sensor within it but it could also be bigger.

Can anyone relate to the same issue or am i doomed with the car?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Woah! That's not good. Do you know what the codes are? I'd have to say negative on the sensor within the converter, because as far as I know the way it senses if the converter is working is by comparing the first o2 sensor's readings with the second o2 sensor's reading and seeing if the cat had made the second reading better. I'd have to guess you're running with a huge restriction, possibly the converter itself or running very very lean, which is engine-failure territory. I'd be reluctant to be driving it until you get it sorted out.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by warpedhalo
Woah! That's not good. Do you know what the codes are? I'd have to say negative on the sensor within the converter, because as far as I know the way it senses if the converter is working is by comparing the first o2 sensor's readings with the second o2 sensor's reading and seeing if the cat had made the second reading better. I'd have to guess you're running with a huge restriction, possibly the converter itself or running very very lean, which is engine-failure territory. I'd be reluctant to be driving it until you get it sorted out.
Hey,

Yeah i thought that i was going to be looking at engine failure somewhere along the line but it was good news on that front after taking it to have it looked at.

Apparently the coil pack was worn out and i needed to replace the coil springs and all spark plugs, a steal of a repair cost when you have the feeling that you were going to have to drop a new engine into it!

Car now back to the ultimate driving machine and the thrill of the ride is completely back and causing me to have to sink petrol into it on a frequent basis but who cares, we buy them to enjoy them eh?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Glad to read that it's all sorted now. I've got a mk1 TT also and I hate it when something goes wrong but it's always a pleasure to get back on the road :-)