Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

"Brake" Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: "Brake" Problems

ORIGINAL: diehlryan

ehh.. try and go without braking. should keep you running till you can replace the pads.
if you really need to stop you can always go to the nearest marina and pick up one of these:

LOL, either that or I can try and stop like Fred Flinstone.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm make believe

stick with the hawks or some ebc pads (green or red)

Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

how bout rotors? If i can find some pretty good prices tonight I'll order them with the quickness

Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm make believe

either go cheap and get solid replacements or you can upgrade to some slotted rotors.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 225tt

Steve you mainly use your TT for the track right, so this is why you would want a higher boiling point for your TT just to be on the safe side during races, no sense having to worry about your brakes in a race, just drive right??
Ed Zachry... Although it sees some street time the only time I drive it is primarily to the track. But even on some high speed canyon runs it is possible to get the brakes at a very high temp. I have even gone so far as to have a set of pads dedicated for the track. I use Hawk HPS on the street, but when I am at the track I swap them out for Hawk HT-10 pads. There is absolutely no worse feeling than going into a hairpin at the end of a 100+ mph straightway, brake late and have the brakes fade on you. Makes for a really sloppy entry or an agricultural excursion.

I used to run HPS pads at the track, but I have found that as I've made improvements to the handling of the car my speeds have steadily climbed and the HPS's would tend to fade after a couple of laps. Now with the HT-10s I can brake as late and as hard as I want without any fear of braking failure.

FWIW, I've put a pyrometer on my rotors after a hot track session and measured over 450°F and that is after a cooldown lap. So you can imagine how hot things are when you are putting the demand on them.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: moeron7

Cool, the relay will be fixed tomorrow. I'll take a wheel off and see if i can find a sensor. I've been told about some decent pads to get (hawk, pbr, etc.) But i havent heard of a good rotor that I should get thats either oem or a little better. Got any ideas?
Rotors for the most part are all the same cast iron material (unless you go into Ceramics, etc).. Watch out for the cheap ebay drilled rotors, there have been many accounts of these developing stress cracks. You can't go wrong with either a set of OEMs or anything from ECSTuning or TireRack.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear

400 is what I was told by the Audi dealer to replace my brake pads. Seems very high to me, so I will order the pads myself and have a local BMW certified shop do the labor, hoping to save a 100 or so in the wallet. The dealer wanted about $100 more for the parts then we can get them online for so I will order and wait a few days, plus their dealer labor rates are so high compared to a good local shop.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

Wow 400 ya thats alittle much for a brake job, im glad im a DIY kinda guy. I am thinking of going with the two piece rotors from ecstuning.com and some good hawk pads, I think that should be good for my daily driver with occasional track time.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Tirerack has a good selection of rotors at good prices, however wanted to go back to something you said earlier.

You stated, Couldn't find DOT 4 etc...

DO NOT PUT DOT 3 in your car. Your car came stock with a DOT 4, you can't go back, it causes problems, trust me, I'm going through the entire brake system on my Audi 100 because I put DOT 3 in the sytem because I assumed it was so old it didn't come with DOT 4. I was wrong, it gets really pricey, I hope you didn't add DOT 3, if you did, I would advise you to syphon it out of the top of your master cylinder and start over with a nice DOT 4 or up bleeding.

I didn't think it was a big deal but it's got it's side effects.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear

I found some DOT 3/4 at advanced auto store, but i want DOT4 or 5. The only thing i'm worried about is that my car wont stop in time. that and I have to wait for my new CC to get in the mail before I do anything. I'm just strapped right now. So once I get that, I'll order online or try and get them ordered quicker from a store around here, I want slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Is bleeding the brakes hard to do? Do I need that pump looking device or can I do something else?

Quick Reply: "Brake" Problems