Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Q5 scraping noise casued by snow packing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Q5 scraping noise casued by snow packing?

I have a 2011 Q5 and just survived our first winter snow storm. Spontaneously, the right rear tire started making a scaping sound that speeds up and slows down with wheel speed.

Since it was due for a 5000 service, we had them check this out.

1. Service tech said this is due to snow packed behind the wheel. Also said they have been having a lot of complaints about similar noises. More frightening, he said the snow packing could push the wheel out of alignment. Are you kidding me? When my wife suggested it sounded like a design flaw, the tech said "they'll all do that." Well, first time for me and I've owned dozens of cars in snow climates. As I said, if indeed it's affecting the wheel alignment, it's a real safety hazard.

2. Waited for a loaner as it didn't have gas. Wife missed an appointment because of this. Finally another Q5 arrives. Wife starts driving it, and it's shaking/shuddering so badly she says it's undrivable. Brought it back, and the service rep said it's due to the same snow/ice packing problem. What??

Anyone with Q5 in winter climates who can confirm this problem? I'm in the Boston area.

-david

Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Q5 noise?

I dont have that issue and I live north of Boston. My Q5 has 2000 miles.

I do get some squaling whn I roll to a stop. I also get a lot of brake pad dust on the wheels. I was told by the service manager at the delaership that this is normal for the Q5 and also the a4, a6, a8 and q7.
Doesn't sound normal to me

Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

thanks lsm,
hopefully others will chiime in.
I get A LOT of brake dust. Was hard enough to keep up with in the summer, now with winter upon us, harder still.

I am really curious about this snow packing issue. Let me know if it happens on your Q5 this winter.

-david

Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

The snow packing issue shaking/shuddering happened on my Q5. It shook so bad it freaked me out. I pulled over and turned the car off cause I thought it was going to fall apart on me lol. It happened on my way home and it did it going at around 55 to 60 mph. Once i got home i immediately got on the internet and made a quick search and found people had had this problem. Just had to knock all the snow off and it stopped doing it.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

on all AWD cars i have driven (several subarus and audis) this is an issue. snow gets kicked up from the road and builds up in the wheel wells, and will eventually (if youre taking a long trip,or if its particularly slushy/icy out) reach out to the tire and cause some noise.

its a simple fix-if youre out on a long trip or driving through a deep or slushy snow,just stop every now and then and kick out the snow/ice chunk that has formed in all your wheel wells.