Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Q5 2012 sunroof shatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
1st Gear
Question Q5 2012 sunroof shatter

The sunroof glass shattered on my 2012 Q5 when I went up to the mountains in the cold weather. Audi says its a known issue with 2012 sunroofs. Apparently the glass is not tempered correctly and the extreme cold (10 degrees in my case) was enough to cause the sunroof to shatter when I closed the door. Audi Rusnuk pasadena has had the car for a month and is still unable to fix and return the car to me. Has anyone else had this sunroof problem?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Many have and posted about it over on AW - it does seem like it's a supplier problem for the 2012's only (so far !)

Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
1st Gear
Default audi q5 sunroof problem

My sunroof also shattered spontaneously. Temp hit 0F, got in car and heard crackling. Looked up and sunroof was shattered. Audi towed my car and has given me a long term rental (not a loaner). They say they've seen this one other time. Parts are ordered - should be about a week. Anyone else???

Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
ABA
1st Gear
Default 2012 Q5 Shattering Sunroof

Happened to me last night. Got up this morning (after a cold night) and the sunroof was in a million pieces. Luckily the sun-filter net caught all the shrapnel. Audi dealer gave me a loaner and is ordering new glass. Says it'll take a week to repair. I hope so .... we'll see.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

ME TOO! I went out to my car on Monday morning and the entire roof was shattered. I didn't even realize it until I shut the door and it came sprinkling down on me! I took it in and they just called and said it was fixed (after the guy said he hadn't seen anything like this) I said it was a mild winter and most of the cars are probably garaged. They did give me a very nice loaded Q7 at the Bell Audi in NJ, so I wasn't too unhappy. I just hope its really fixed.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

If sunroof shattered and caught by the filter net/screen, are those pieces eventually stretch the net? I'm just wondering if dealer will replace the net as well?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

this shattering sunroof issue is really making me second think my future Q5 purchase. from reading other posts, i assumed that this was happening in much colder areas.. but if this is happening in NJ (where im located)... got me a little worried.
i too would probably be visiting Bell Audi in NJ, as they are the closest dealer to me.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

My guess?
it's just a short term supplier problem just like the rear view cameras were...

a batch of bad glass that they know exactly which 2012 cars it went on...

Will they issue a recall ? doubt it since it's probably not a lot of cars that are in the conditions needed....

I wonder how many shattered outside the northern usa that we don't hear about ?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM
ABA
1st Gear
Default Update

I got my Q5 back from the dealer after the incident described above. They replaced both the roof and the sun-filter screen. I was told that it was, in fact, just an issue of a batch of badly tempered glass, and they replaced my roof with one that won't break. It went down below freezing out last night and I left the car in the driveway to test. It was covered with frost this morning, but nothing bad happened when I slammed the doors (repeatedly).

All's well that ends well. These things happen to all auto manufacturers and I have to say that I was very impressed with the care and service I got at Willow Grove Audi in PA. Nice people, work well done, on time. Glad to have the Q5 back. It's truly a great car.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2012 A4 and the sunroof shattered with a loud explosion on my way to work @ 4:00 am.The outside temperature was 51degrees and the interior temperature was 75 degrees.I took the car in to the audi dealer and they did not believe me and said something hit the sunroof.I would have heard if something hit before the explosion but there was only the explosion noise.

Quick Reply: Q5 2012 sunroof shatter