Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

What is that noise in left front wheel well? Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 PM
1st Gear
Default What is that noise in left front wheel well? Please advise.

I've tried searching this forum prior to posting, but perhaps not using correct terminology to get results.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2006 A8L, 95,000 miles. Wife drove home tonight, stopped engine, and said she heard "fan" noise from front end. I mentioned it was the air suspension lowering. 30 minutes later I go outside, and hear a rotary type sound and when I placed my hand on top of the inside left front wheel well rubber covering, I could feel something tapping it as if it was revolving. When I popped the hood, sound got very loud (coincidentally i don't know) but sounded like a roof turbine fan that is warped and hitting edge with each revolution.
I removed the 2 hex screws and found a plug of some sort and disconnected it, thinking it was an air suspension pump trying to kick on and off.
I could NOT get it to shut off. I started the vehicle, raised the suspension, lowered it, etc. (worked), removed every fuse one by one from each side of the dash, and unplugged and replugged those large square fuse type plugs above the regular fuse bay. Still on. Finally, after another 30 minutes of prodding helplessly, I disconnected the Negative battery terminal, waited 30 seconds or so, reattached, and heard sound come on again. Disconnected for 30 minutes, reattached and now now sound.
I did notice when I recranked it, that my battery was obviously low, and saw a dash light which is a triangle with a ! inside, encircled by an arrow.

ANY suggestions would be great since the closest dealer is right at 2 hrs away from me.

thank you,

Andy