Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

new a8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

ok all, what grade of fuel should I put into the car? premium it is it seems. anyone know how to remove the steering column?

Last edited by SenkoA8; 01-30-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: cause im a dunce
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

OK! well its time for an update. So far I have put all the parts I found in the trunk of the car back on the car, I am still missing a couple of minor pieces. If anyone knows the best way to fix or replace them let me know.

The rear view mirror is on the floor. Is it a magnetic system? or is it glued on?

The passenger side visor is also on the floor. It seems one of the screws broke, and is stuck in the mounting bracket.

The center arm rests are also missing, so I am looking for some replacements, the car has tan interior so If anyone has any for sale or sees any let me know!

I have resealed the ECUs with some silicone and also popped a drain hole into the ECU tray, hopefully that will keep any future ECU issues remedied.

I bought a brand new Battery to spec for the car, the previous owner put a volvo 550 CCA battery in it, I replaced with the spec 850 CCA battery with the vent tube connected.

I still have to install a new Ignition Cylinder , the switch and the key lock are both working, the housing for the lock is broken into 3 pieces. I have been looking for any way to just repair it, or swap it out without having to replace the whole column, but so far no luck.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

well, Bad news, I am not hearing the fuel pump come on when I go to start the car and it does not want to start. I have read it could be the pump or the ecu. Rather than try and gully it out. I am going to attempt to jump the pump with power and see if that works, if not then out comes the pump. If it does work then out comes the ECU.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

ok guys, I am thinking I am gonna buy new computers for the car just to not have to worry about them due to the water I orriginally found in the ecu compartment. My ECU has the numbers 4d0 907 557 D and my TCM has the numbers 4d0 927 156 AN , What numbers do I need to watch for with replacement computer and what letters or numbers dont matter?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by SenkoA8
ok all, what grade of fuel should I put into the car? premium it is it seems. anyone know how to remove the steering column?
I always used premium, in mine (back when *I* had one). It will run on lesser fuels, but you will not have as good a performance profile as with premium fuel. It retards teh spark, and a couple of other technical things I don't quite recall, when you run cheap fuel.

I may have a diagram on how to do it, on an old hard-drive. if your need is great, I cud be compelled into searching for it.

OK! well its time for an update. So far I have put all the parts I found in the trunk of the car back on the car, I am still missing a couple of minor pieces. If anyone knows the best way to fix or replace them let me know.

The rear view mirror is on the floor. Is it a magnetic system? or is it glued on?

The passenger side visor is also on the floor. It seems one of the screws broke, and is stuck in the mounting bracket.

The center arm rests are also missing, so I am looking for some replacements, the car has tan interior so If anyone has any for sale or sees any let me know!

I have resealed the ECUs with some silicone and also popped a drain hole into the ECU tray, hopefully that will keep any future ECU issues remedied.

I bought a brand new Battery to spec for the car, the previous owner put a volvo 550 CCA battery in it, I replaced with the spec 850 CCA battery with the vent tube connected.

I still have to install a new Ignition Cylinder , the switch and the key lock are both working, the housing for the lock is broken into 3 pieces. I have been looking for any way to just repair it, or swap it out without having to replace the whole column, but so far no luck.
The A8 is an aluminum-bodied vehicle. I doubt very seriously if anything that attaches to the exterior is magnetic.

Did not look to see what country you are in... I am guessing by some of your word choices you are neither an American, nor IN America, however... Try dadsauto.com or, shokan.com. Both have reps, good and bad; so play at your own risk. I am not endorsing either, just sharing a resource I know will have your armrest and possibly other major/minor parts you may be looking for.

well, Bad news, I am not hearing the fuel pump come on when I go to start the car and it does not want to start. I have read it could be the pump or the ecu. Rather than try and gully it out. I am going to attempt to jump the pump with power and see if that works, if not then out comes the pump. If it does work then out comes the ECU.
Wise diagnostic choice. I wud make teh same choice/presumption.

ok guys, I am thinking I am gonna buy new computers for the car just to not have to worry about them due to the water I orriginally found in the ecu compartment. My ECU has the numbers 4d0 907 557 D and my TCM has the numbers 4d0 927 156 AN , What numbers do I need to watch for with replacement computer and what letters or numbers dont matter?
Can't help you with this one. Not rilly a wrench. just a guy who's good with tools an schitt. There's a couple of guys on here who legitimately wrench Audi. I'll PM them and ask they to stop by this thread and help, if they can.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info, I am actually located in Kennesaw, GA USA. I just prefer to converse like I have half a brain. I would really appreciate that breakdown on how to remove the column as I will be having to replace the ignition cylinder on the car ( some poor theives cracked it into pieces trying to steal the car ), that is half the reason why I was able to pick the car up for so cheap.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

ok well I put power top the pump and nothing, seems the pump is gone, the little I heard it idle was the last it had. Are there any things I need to watch out for when removing the fuel pump assembly from the cover in the rear? I have disconnected the return and feed lines from it, and I have unscrewed the locking ring, anything I need to be weary of when removing it? it seems like it wants to come out but is a little stiff. I do not wanna break anything and put debris in the tank.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

Update on current total into the 97 a8

Tow back to the house - 100
New battery - 98
new spark plugs, filter and 8 quarts of mobil 1 - 79
New tcm - 82
new fuel pump - 156
new steering column and assembly - 237

current running total - 752

Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Senior Administrator

find RAI motorsports on FB. Ray (of R.A.I.) is one of the best diagnosticians I've come across, for Audi or pretty much any German brand. There may be better, but *I* have never heard of, worked with, or paid for their services.

If you tell him Jazz sent you he may charge you more (since I owe him, like, a pound of flesh), but just tell him someone from AudiForums mentioned how awesome he is and you'll have a friend for life!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Ok I have gotten the bottom of the broken assembly for the ignition off. I just can not figure out how to remove the cable from the cylinder assembly. Do I just yank on it? Do I pry it out, or do I have to turn the ignition while pulling on it?

Quick Reply: new a8 owner