Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with this picture...Tiptronic question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Whats wrong with this picture...Tiptronic question...

So because I can't afford to visit the dealership I called our local import repair shop and asked about a quote on the timming belt and transmission filter/fluid change....He said he would do the belt and all related parts for $250 in labor plus parts...and $50 for the transmission....Okay I think I just answered my own question but I'll go on...Our car goes in today for just the tranny...Maybe the $50 quote was labor only....I don't want to say to them that thats way too cheap,charge me more but it sounds WAY TOO CHEAP....What are your thoughts on this....They have Jags,Audis,MBs etc. out in front of the shop and have been there forever...I would think they know what they are doing...They new all about the timming belt issues and I assume they know all about the transmission....I told them its the Tiptronic 5 speed auto???? I guess I'm worried they might change the filter and fill with regular type transmission fluid....What if ??? Wont they need to test drive it and make sure it shifts right ? What would happen if they do fill it with ATF ? Will it cook it ? And if so do you think it would take a while or will it toast the tranny down the road from the shop ? Oh, and would they be responsable for damage? Let me know what you think...We are dropping her off at the end of the day today so it can go in first thing in the morning.....

Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Whats wrong with this picture...Tiptronic question...

well, I'm here in Oklahoma and I believe the dealer quoted me a transmission flush at around $100-150. HOwever, I do have a good mechanic in town who will do my timing belt for $200 labor plus parts so maybe the $50 transmission flush is about right. I would ask them if they will be putting in Audi transmission fluid or request that that is what they put in.

As far as what would happen if the transmission fluid is wrong, I don't know. I would, again, ask them if they cover damages caused my their work or if their work is covered under some kind of warranty. Even though the dealer says not to change the transmission fluid, I plan on having mine changed at about 100k miles. Nothing is "lifetime" in a vehicle.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear

If you folks have shops that will do a timing belt change for $250 or less for labor, you are EXTREMELY lucky or have terrible mechanics. That's awfully cheap for a pretty big job. I'd be suspect.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 PM

I mean is it cheap or is it an audi fan wanting to help?? I do it all the time

Old 11-01-2006, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Well we just dropped it off at the shop...I didnt ask him anything other than if he would take a look at the timming belt....He said he could only tell me if it was real bad and ready to break....weather checked/full of cracks etc. He said there is no way to tell if a belt that looks good is ready to go or not as he has seen them go with no signs that it was in fact ready to go....We live in a small town,one stoplight where the shop is and he has been there for 25 plus years....I would think that has to say something....There are only a hand full of places that has lasted a fraction of that time....

Tell me though...will my car drive with just regular tranny fluid in it? And if so,for how long?
Thanks a ton for your input...

Old 11-01-2006, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear

One thing to be aware of... As I understand it, the timing belts are not the source of failure all that often. Instead, what fails is a pulley or tensioner on the timing belt path. That's why it is recommended that you replace the timing belt, pulley, tensioners, and water pump all at the same time.

Check www.purems.com for a kit that contains all the parts you need.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SouthboroAudiGuy

One thing to be aware of... As I understand it, the timing belts are not the source of failure all that often. Instead, what fails is a pulley or tensioner on the timing belt path. That's why it is recommended that you replace the timing belt, pulley, tensioners, and water pump all at the same time.

Check www.purems.com for a kit that contains all the parts you need.
Thanks for the link...I do plan on replacing all related parts...I just need to save a couple more bucks...
Oh and by the way,your car is sweet...I see your wheels are 17s, what size are the tires?And is it lowered at all?
I have a new pair of 235-45-ZR17's that are just sitting in my garage.I may just pick up another pair and some 17 inch wheels.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:36 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the compliments. Wheels are 17x8" and tires are 235/45R17. Car has OEM sport suspension which is lowered by 20mm compared to non-sport.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Hey Southborough,

I'm extremely lucky to have a good mechanic that does timing belt for $250 or less. He works on all my cars, my wife's A6 and my BMW 540i, when it comes to big projects. I had a buddy of mine with a 2.7T have his timing belt done and he's been running great ever since. He's done nothing but great car work on my vehicles. I guess I really lucked out when I was searching for import car mechanics in the phone book.

Good luck on the transmission work Four O's.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear

For $250...wow!! My dealer wants close to 2k....choke/cough/gasp....[&:] If you can trust his work, by all means, more power to you. I need to find that deal here in Seattle.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with this picture...Tiptronic question...