Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission/Tiptronic Issues... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Well, I just bought a ross-tech vag com. How fast are they with shipping?

...and another question, is it possible the TCM just needs to be reset? Because I pulled it out and it is the cleanest most moisture free box I have ever seen. I even opened it up to see if I had fried anything with my stupid fuse move, and nothing looked burned or popped...

I'm hoping that once I get the cable I'll be able to reset the code and it'll be okay... false hope?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by danmcc86
...and another question, is it possible the TCM just needs to be reset?
That was the idea behind the disconnected battery suggestion.
However, 15 minutes only probably will not reset anything. And as Jim (Midniteoyl) put it, maybe something else got shorted when you pulled the fuse with the engine on.
I hope you'll have an easy remedy via VagCom.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Okay, I unplugged the batt for over two hours and nothing... do you have any suggestions on what else could have shorted out? I checked all of the fuses so I know they are functioning...are there any other breakers or fuses that the trans is connected through? This is all just trouble shooting until I get the vagcom...

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

HEY Dan im having the EXACT! same issues to the T!. Dude i thought i broke my tranny because all my P R N D 3 2 1 letters on the dash are lit up red and i did exactly what you did i was changing a fuse when something shorted out, turned the car on and had problems ever since. i have laggin, when i put it in reverse it would jerk hard or when im driving the gears just reach to high, its just messed up. wow thank god for this thread i was gonna just go look for a tranny but if its something simples as a tcm then thank god. hey if you get this fixed let me know how it was done. im going to my local garage to check the codes out tomorrow see whats up.

we will see tomorrow!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 AM
3rd Gear

I don't know what to tell you, Dan. There are also quite a few relays, but I'm not sure if there's any controlling/powering the transmission sensors or the Control Module itself.
Some other bright minds may give you better advice than what I can offer you.
Sorry.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

any update on this..

called my local audi dealer and yes its in limp mode and not to drive or you will be messing the tranny up. however they are not telling me whether they can fix it with a reset or if i need a new tcu but im sure they are gonna tell me i need the most expensive part. this happend all because of a fuse which is pretty pathetic!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by hurricane860
any update on this..

called my local audi dealer and yes its in limp mode and not to drive or you will be messing the tranny up. however they are not telling me whether they can fix it with a reset or if i need a new tcu but im sure they are gonna tell me i need the most expensive part. this happend all because of a fuse which is pretty pathetic!
Just don't drive it for now, you won't need a new trans trust me. You need to buy a vag com as well and do your own diagnostic work.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
4th Gear

Ok.. after reading around alittle, you might get away with just a reset. It seems the tranny will go into limp mode and not reset on its own 'just in case'. If you know someone with, or have, a Vag-Com try resetting first.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Just don't drive it for now, you won't need a new trans trust me. You need to buy a vag com as well and do your own diagnostic work.
awsome, thanks for the reassurance!

just brought it to my closest local import mechanic and hes going to take a look at it tomorrow, lets see what he says.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

will it really mess it up if I drive it with it in limp mode? I haven't been driving it much...but I have...gentle acceleration and shifting.

Quick Reply: Transmission/Tiptronic Issues... HELP!