Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear

Jackmup,

You do NOT want to go with a lower profile sidewall, you want a taller sidewall. The taller the sidewall, the more room to absorb shock from potholes. The shorter the sidewall, the more likely the tire and/or rim will get damaged by potholes.

AS for Goodyears, I have a set of Symmetries that have had a "going bad on a regular basis" issue, so I can't recommend Goodyear. I'm surprised that you are having issues with Michelins as their quality control is supposed to be second to none, but, then again, they own BF Goodrich and, maybe, you got Michelins made in the Goodrich factory instead of Goodrichs made in the Michelin factory.

The biggest problem I have had is in finding someone who could balance the tires effectively. Since we know the A6 is ultra-sensitive to any vibration, it is very important to find someone who can balance the tires right. Discount cannot (five different stores - none could balance the tires), Belle Tire could not, but the factory owned Goodyear dealer could. Why? He knows how to calibrate his tire balancer!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Bob

Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks Bob, I'm sticking with the OEM size.

I just found out that Michelin had a problem with maintenance at one of their southern plants in Alabama. "They" said the roof was leaking on the equipment causing the rubber not to bond to the chords.
When I looked at the ratings for Michelin Energy in tire rack it said only 4.5 would consider purchasing a second set. That 4.5 must have been from another plant.

As for my next pick I'm on the fence. However it feels like I'm going to have to make a decision soon I have another one going.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

Tires?? Yokohama TRZ

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
2nd Gear

I'm down to these two.

Perelli P Zero Nero W speed rating
Bridgestone Potenza RE 960AS W speed rating

The Yokohama S drive looked good as well.

I live in South Florida. I think the heat may be the reason my sidewalls are failing. I see alot of blow outs here on the highway as compared to NY. I assume it's the heat, Could be that the travel down here from up north does it as well.

I am looking for;

Summer (it's forever summer)
Speed rating greater than Z (thicker side walls to deal with the heat)
Good hydroplaning (it does not rain here it pours)

I have currently Bridgestone tires on my trucks and I like them. I have only run Michelin in the past year because I was always told they were the best. It was a huge expensive mistake. Never again. (When I purchased them they were not on sale)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
3rd Gear

IMHO -- Some Bridgestones are crap. They came on our mini-van and I replaced them within 10K because of a poor ride and limited stick-to-the-road. Switched to Yohohama TRZ and never looked back. I also put them on previous Audi's and was very happy.

I currently have Michelin Exalto's 16's and BF Goodrich Traction TA's 15's mounted for my Audi. The Exalto's are directional, good on smooth surfaces but ride harsh. The TA's ride better and give better traction on rough surfaces. The only reason I put the Exalto's on the car is to use them up.. When I need tires it will be the TRZ's -no question!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
4th Gear

Also have the Exalto's (came with the car) and am not impressed with the ride. I'll be switching to the BFG gSports as soon as they are worn.

Have to say though, the Bridgestones I have on the truck I do like...

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Site Moderator

I hate michillin tires, weakest sidewalls in the game. Try bending the sidewall on a brand new tire, you can almost bend it flat with just one finger. Thats supposed to be designed like that for "grip" my ***.
My order of favorite tire manufactures.
1) Pierelli
2) BF Goodrich
3) Continental
4) Yokohama
5) Dunlop
6) Falken
7) Goodyear
8) Kumho
9) Nitto
10) Cooper

Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

In that case I'll just go with the Perelli. They are cheaper then the Bridgestone by a couple bucks anyway.

I will never put a Michelin on my vehicles again, Not even the Big trucks. Screw them. If you do like them Get the Z or higher rated. At least you will get more rubber in the side wall. I have one of the original tires left on the car all of the other have been replaced and are now bad again. If I could only find 3 more like that one good one. He's a fighter.

I have had no problems with Bridgestones. I have only bought truck tires from them and get 50K out of the Dueller. They have been good but they are obviously a different animal. The right up on these Potezas"if you can believe that propaganda B/S" was good. The longest wearing tire I ever had was a BFgoodrich it just wasn't the best ride that's why I hestitate to go with them (The same A/T a that comes on the Hummer, Cheap too)

Who names there tire Kum-HO. Can't run those for dignity reasons. Although the name is quite fitting for this 3.0!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 AM
3rd Gear

Kum-Ho Ecstas (probably is coming from Ecstasy) will be though easier for you to jack them up. Actually they offer a pretty comfortable/quiet, yet spirited ride if you ask me.
But if you like better the "screamers", go with Pirellis.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

I ordered Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. The Avant is supposed to have 215/55 R16 and Pirelli does not make Nero in that size. I have read so many reviews my eyes are popping out. In the end it came down to those two only because so many Audi owners like them and I believe half of the problem is finding a tire that works with this PITA car. I'm just a little hesitant after being bit in the *** by what I was always told is the premier tire- Michelin they should rename that tire Flatergy.

In the end I heard good news about these tires.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS pole position (wonder what that means)
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S or All Season
BF Goodrich G force
Cooper CS4 (it's new but supposed to be really good)

Not necessarily in that order! But if your shopping around it's a start. I recommend having them road force balanced when installed. I notice the difference it makes on an Audi. If it were a Chevy I probably wouldn't feel a thing.

FYI I put 38PSI in the Michelin energy tires and they are a little rounder. But the ride is harder. Just in case anyone runs into the problem at least your steering wheel will stop doing the lambada.

I'll follow up on how they work out.

Quick Reply: Tires?