Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Steering Wheels - Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Swapping Steering Wheels - Will this work?

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

I have the RS6 wheel in my car, with paddles, to replace the S4 button one. If you just want buttons, let me know, my old wheel is just sitting in the basement.
Paddles

Buttons
2k...yes that is what I meant. Hell I didn't know they actually had paddles too. I'm such a NOOB when it comes to these cars. Yes the pic of the one wheel I showed above is from an RS6. The pics of the wheel that Envied has is what I had the question about. I thought the "buttons" on top were for shifting. I guess in essence I was trying to merge the two and have the best of both worlds. Button shifting and radio contols. TheS4 wheel that you had in your car is the wheel I saw in the owners manual. I'd love to see if that wheelwill work on my car. Send me an email and we can talk details.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Blade69
2k...yes that is what I meant. Hell I didn't know they actually had paddles too. I'm such a NOOB when it comes to these cars. Yes the pic of the one wheel I showed above is from an RS6. The pics of the wheel that Envied has is what I had the question about. I thought the "buttons" on top were for shifting. I guess in essence I was trying to merge the two and have the best of both worlds. Button shifting and radio contols. The S4 wheel that you had in your car is the wheel I saw in the owners manual. I'd love to see if that wheel will work on my car. Send me an email and we can talk details.
Yes, it will work in an A6, but you need to get a new airbag wire & connector. If you do not have the buttons there now, you will need the wires for that.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Sorry I dont mean to hijack this tread but can you put a newer style A6 steering wheel on the 2002-2004 A6? I really like those[sm=Awwww.gif] [sm=drlove.gif]

Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Ummm...actually, the 4-spoke wheel you originally posted has the tip buttons AND radio controls. Look closer at the outer edges of the upper spokes. Those toggles each have a (+) and (-) for up and downshifts. The other three buttons on each side of the airbag are for the radio/CD/phone controls. I have that exact steering wheel in my 2002 A6 4.2, and it is supposed to only work when you shift into tip mode with the shift lever, but I recoded the transmission with the VAG COM so they operate much like the RS6, and they are active if I up- or down-shift. After 10 seconds or so of no active shifting with the buttons, it reverts back to Drive or Sport mode.

Here is the only picture I have of the wheel (taken right after I installed the RS6 alcantara headliner, but before I swapped out for the carbon fiber trim and got the matching dome lights)...

Regardless, it is not plug-n-play on your car unless you have to correct steering wheel module, which was changed in 2002 and later years, and I am not so sure even with the right module if it would owrk properly with the tranny.

If you really want the paddleshifters similar to the RS6, you can do it, but it only works in tip mode, and it requires a bit of wire tapping, and a few expensive parts. Here is a post of what I did in my 2001 2.7T tiptronic when I retrofitted a paddlshift stering wheel (from a TT, but same as the RS6 wheel):
http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/547564.phtml

And a picture of that wheel installed (in my former car):

Old 09-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Site Moderator

Oh boston driver your car is [sm=drooldude.gif]Love that headliner, how much did that set ya back?

Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Boston. What I would really like is the four spoke wheel that you have in your 2002 4.2 to work exactly the same way in my 2001 2.7T. I may just get it anyway and see if I can get it to work. If not, I guess I'd have to settle for just the button shifter type that I may get from 2k S4. Either way, it looks like I'm going to have to do some modifications to get either to work.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

WOW, that was a lot of work there Boston.

All I had to do was remove one wheel, change 2 connectors, & bolt everything back up! Mine took 15min.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

WOW, that was a lot of work there Boston.

All I had to do was remove one wheel, change 2 connectors, & bolt everything back up! Mine took 15min.
I think that is because your S4 was pre-wired for the tip controls on the steering wheel. My 2001 A6 2.7T was not prewired, and the steering angle sensor was not prewired to accept the tip controls either.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

CRAP!!! I forgot to bid on the wheel [] Well 2k, got that wheel?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Boston Driver
I think that is because your S4 was pre-wired for the tip controls on the steering wheel. My 2001 A6 2.7T was not prewired, and the steering angle sensor was not prewired to accept the tip controls either.
Yea, I got that, I'm just saying mine was much easier! However, I have to put my car in TIP mode to get the paddles to work. It would be nice to just hit them, & get the paddles to work with out moving the shifter into TIP mode. I wonder, if I can retrofit the newer A6 one in the S4, to get the semi-manual mode?

Blade, yup, I got the wheel, email me, & I'll send some pics. Hopefully it will be almost PNP.